Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stainless Grade-8 Bolts??.....Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

There are plenty of places that sell non-graded stainless fasteners for valvecovers and other "dress up" items, but what I'm wondering is if there is a company out there that makes REAL honest-to-goodness Grade 8 fasteners in stainless steel??

I'm thinking of applications like leafspring bolts, frame bolts, bodymount bolts, etc. Aircraft bolts (partially threaded) would be awesome to find too.

Anybody come across a source for this kind of thing?

:thinking:

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That's kind of what I was thinking.... please let me know what you find out.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

They exist, but not generally sold to the public because they are very expensive. I tried to find some for my rebuild, and IIRC, I did find some very limited ones, they were like $40 for a 3/8" "grade 8 eqivilent", 3" long, IIRC, this was back in early 2000 when I was looking.

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

arp stainless is equevelent but the sizes are limited, and very spendy. I have bought some and I would stay with g8.

6. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I imagine th fact that stainless is so britle it cost alot to get a grade 8 equivilent. A goodgrade 8 bolt and some anti seeze should do fine though...

7. longbedder

longbedder 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Bolts that are made of 17-4 Stainless alloy can have strengths that slightly exceed grade 8 carbon steel equivalents.

Carbon Steel used in Grade 8 Fasteners:
    91 ksi in single shear
    130 ksi tensile yield
    150 ksi tensile ultimate

17-4 Stainless Bar heat treated to H1025 (this would be the likely condition for a bolt)
    95 ksi single shear
    145 ksi tensile yield
    155 ksi tensile ultimate

ARP makes bolts from 17-4, and here is one online store where you can buy their 1/4"-3/4" diameter stainless bolts up to 12" lengths. They are all flanged head bolts: http://stainlessbits.com/cart/shopdisplaycategories.asp?id=69&cat=%3Cbr%3EHigh+Strength+Standard+Thread+Fasteners+Inches%3Cbr%3E

BEWARE: Impact strength is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced for 17-4 Stainless at subzero temperatures!

8. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

hex bolts

You can get 316 stainless steel hex bolts from Grainger. They say the rockwell hardness is B80 and the minimum tensile strength is 85,000 psi. prices vary a package of 5/8-11 fully threaded (qty 5) runs about $9.95.

9. longbedder

That (85 ksi) would be only slightly stronger in tension than a Grade 2 carbon steel bolt (the cheap chit from home depot).

10. hammermachine

hammermachine 1/2 ton status

Yeah probaly, the stainless might not be stronger that stock grade 8 bolts.

11. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I don't know the tech or numbers on ss fasteners, but have been told by my supplier that there are somewhat comparable ss bolts to grade 5's and 8's..

Personally I haven't felt the need to change over any high strength fasteners to stainless, BUT I do change out any fastener/screw that I can to stainless. Being in the marine biz I have tons of that stuff around and use it VERY often in projects...

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

EDIT: FIXED IT! :D

About Cap Screw Materials
    Grade/Class
    Features
    Grade 2 - See Titanium under Material Type.
    Grade 5 - Made of medium-strength steel.
    Grade 8 - Made of high-strength alloy steel.
    Grade 9 - Made of high-grade alloy steel.
    Grade CU2 - See Brass under Material Type.
    Class 8.8 - Made of medium-strength, heat-treated steel.
    Class 10.9 - Made of high-strength steel.
    Class 90 and 100 - Both are stronger than Grade 5.

Finish/Coating
    Features
    Plain - For general purpose applications. A good economical choice.
    Zinc-Plated - Provides excellent corrosion resistance.
    Cadmium-Plated - Offers better rust resistance than zinc-plating, especially in salt environments.
    Black - Offers mild rust resistance and some lubricity.
    Black Luster-Coated - Offers a durable and decorative finish. Provides corrosion resistance superior to black and zinc-plated finishes.
    Blue-Coated - This highly visible blue coating makes it easier to distinguish from inch sizes.
    Hot-Dipped Galvanized - Same strength and properties of zinc-plating, but with a thicker coating for excellent rust, weather, and corrosion resistance.
    Ultra Corrosion-Resistant Coated - Have a clear silver, water-based inorganic coating (also known as armor coat) for excellent corrosion resistance.

Material Type
    Features
    Steel - Good for general purpose applications.
    Alloy 20 Stainless Steel - Also known as Carpenter 20, it's nonmagnetic and especially resistant to stress corrosion.
    17-4 PH Stainless Steel - Combines the high-strength of alloy with corrosion resistance of stainless steel.
    18-8 Stainless Steel - Offers excellent corrosion resistance; it may be mildly magnetic.
    300 Stainless Steel - Meet more stringent specifications such as military specifications. All are passivated (a nitric acid treatment that creates a passive film to protect the stainless steel from oxidation and corrosion).
    316 Stainless Steel - Offers even better corrosion than 18-8 stainless steel. It contains molybdenum, which increases resistance to chlorides and sulfates. It may be mildly magnetic.
    450 Stainless Steel - Offers more corrosion resistance than alloy steel.
    AluminumAlloy 2024-T4. - Has good resistance to corrosion caused by weather. It's nonmagnetic and offers the strength of mild steel at one third the weight.
    Brass - Softer than steel with good corrosion resistance. Nonmagnetic.
    Ceramic - Highly resistant to corrosive gases, and withstand high temperatures. Will not melt, rust, seize, or become brittle, and are electrically insulating and nonmagnetic.
    Nickel-Copper Alloy 400 (Monel) - Also known as Monel. Has exceptional strength and resistance to heat and corrosion. Slightly magnetic. Especially well suited for use near salt water.
    Fiberglass Reinforced Polyurethane - Made of polyurethane reinforced with fiberglass for greater strength than nylon.
    Kynar - Possesses excellent corrosion and chemical resistance. Also known as PVDF (polyvinylidene fluoride), it's a tough and durable material.
    Nylon 6/6 - This nonconductive material resists chemicals and solvents, except mineral acids.
    PTFE - Has high dielectric properties, so it's perfect for electrical applications. Resists moisture and chemicals, and has excellent mechanical properties.
    PVC - Provides excellent corrosion resistance against weak acids, alkalies, and alcohols.
    Silicon BronzeAlloy 651. - Nonmagnetic. Made of 95-98% copper plus silicon for added strength, it offers high corrosion resistance against sea water, gases and sewage.
    TitaniumGrade 2. - Outstanding corrosion resistance. As strong as steel at 57% of the weight. It is nonmagnetic and has excellent temperature resistance.
    A286 Super Alloy - An iron-based material containing 26% nickel and 15% chrome. It offers the strength of alloy steel with corrosion resistance similar to 18-8 stainless steel.

www.mcmastercar.com
    :D

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

X2 on McMaster-Carr and Grainger. We use that stuff all the time for building the Satellites your cell is piping through.

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Fixed my table for everyone! :D

15. longbedder

Grrrr...:doah:

It doesn't matter who the vendor is (McM-C, Grainger). What matters are the material properties.

A satellite is not a truck, and has a different set of design requirements.

Let's make it simple:
    17-4 Stainless is used in bolts that can be readily found in the consumer market. Some of these are even made by ARP.
    A bolt made of 17-4 stainless is 4.4% stronger in shear (leaf spring bolts, etc.) and 11.5% stronger in tension than a grade 8 bolt. There are other undesireable properties though, such as high cost, galling, and brittleness at low temperature.

Clear?

16. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

you just cant beat a good old grade 8 or grade 9 bolt.

17. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Ahhh... but isn't that the point? You CAN beat a grade 8 bolt. Severely! :D

18. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you must not have read the post right before you.

19. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: Nobody said the vendor is important, Its just convenient we can retail purchase hardware with certs, as opposed to True Value/ACE.:D
    At work I wish I could specify ARP, thats stuff is beyond "Aerospace". There's some really spendy stuff at SPS Technologies. SPS is hardware that I do specify sometimes (Satellite).

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

At normal temps common stainless bolts (18-8) aren't brittle. They are exceptionally mallable, which is it's problem in high strength applications. "Taffy bolts."

I've had made 17-4 fasteners, usually from H900 condition material. Low temps were not an issue, but high strength combined with high wear properties were (production tooling).

I've yet to see any body like SAE or ASME or similar offer a "Grade 9" spec. Until I do, it's only marketing.

An exceptional bolt that has properties similar to that of SHCS's (i.e. stronger than G8's and more ductile than G8's) are Foremost Fastener's F911 series made from 8640. They have really taken the desert racing scene by storm.