Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stainless vs. OEM brake lines

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ChadH82, Jul 23, 2001.

1. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

What are the pros of the stainless vs. the OEM. Does stainless last that much longer that it's worth the extra bucks? It seems to me that the lines in my truck lasted 28 years so OEM would be fine. Is there any other reason to get stainless?

Chad

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would say it all depends on your situation. Are you in the rust belt? Are you planning on keeping the vehicle another 28yrs? Do you like nice and shiny parts on your rig [​IMG]? Do you have extra $$$ layin around? If you answered NO to any of these questions then steel lines will work fine for you. Go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.inlinetube.com>www.inlinetube.com</a> they have stainless and quality OEM lines which will last a long time, are prebent, and have all the correct fittings.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

It also depends on which lines you are talking about. If you are talking of the full brake lines, I can't help you. My truck is 17 years old next month and it still has the stock lines on it!

If you are talking of the rubber lines that go to the calipers on the front and the one that goes from the chassis to the splitter at the diff in the rear, I would say go stainless. When I lifted my truck, my kit came with brackets to lower the mounting points so I could use the factory rubber lines. For about $90, I replaced the rubber lines with longer stainless lines. These (a) look good, (b) were longer (which I needed anyway), (c) were not inclined to swelling as I apply increased breaking pressure with larger tires, and (d) are a lot less likely to break if they got snagged by something off-road.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>