Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

STaK T case in 84 CUCV

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by silveradoreb, Feb 9, 2007.

1. silveradoreb

silveradoreb 1/2 ton status

Ive got an 84 M1008, TH400 and 208 all stock. What is needed for a Stak 2 speed to go in. Crossmember mods? Also anyone know the input splines? And will drive shaft with my slip yoke still work? Thanks

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Uh 400 is 32 spline, Crossmember needs to be changed most likely custom, Your driveshafts will not work you will need a 2 piece shaft front and rear as both outputs are fixed yoke. And if you are going with a Stak why not a 3 speed price dif is not that much.

Ira

3. silveradoreb

I beilive the 3 speed is about 700 more and 2 speed is plenty going from the 208. So nothing will "bolt in" like lomax 205? I was afraid of the driveshafts, but custom mount isnt a problem I just really dont like 208, it is always grinding lately and wont engage in 4hi or low, or stay in gear unless I hold it plus 2 speed is nice.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The Stak to my knowledge has a round pattern. You might need an adapter to mount it to the 400. 32 spline is an option for the stak. The problem with your 208 is more than likely a linkage adjustment problem or maybe a bent shift fork. Shift forks are about $27 dollars. And also your 208 is a 2 speed case Hi and low so a 2 speed stak is the same stronger and deeper gears but still 2 speeds.

Ira

5. silveradoreb

The twin sticks are nice to have though IMO.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The Stak is the way to go. Since you are running a 208 you can re-use your adapter and all you will have to do is egg out one of the holes a little bit, no biggie.

7. silveradoreb

What about a Lomax 205, Would this be any easier aside from new shafts?

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You will need to switch the adapter to go to a 205. You will need a round pattern 205 with the long 32 spline input to bolt to a th400 that had a 208 behind it. I think if you have to by the 205, Lomax kit, 205 rebuild kit, shifter, and adapter it will most likely cost about the same or more then the Stak.