Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stale turbo 400 ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willymonster, Mar 31, 2006.

1. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

i have this turbo 400 i plan on running but it has been sitting about 2 years think i should rebuild it or just run it ?:rolleyes:

2. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Tough call. Has it been sitting inside or outside?

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Chances are very high that it'll need all new rubbers. I would rebuild it unless you like swapping tranny's.

4. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

its been outside under a tarp , impatient side wants to run it but i know it probably should be gone thru . alot easier to get do it now already out of the truck and all . :o

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep. Tear it apart. If it wasn't temperature-controlled, there's no telling what shape it's in.

6. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

It seems like you already knew the answer to your question.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

well...

Its your call-- whether you feel like doing it twice or not!...I've sold a good many tranny's that sat for years at the junkyard..most of them worked just fine,but some got enough water in them from condensation to seize up the valves in the valve body,and rust up the insides..the rubber seals in the clutches can get hard and brittle too,after sitting a long time..

Its tough to say if yours will live or not..if it has nice pink fliud still,and no water (milky looking) I'd pull the pan off and look at the valve body..if its got surface rust,its probably not going to live long...if not,it might be worth putting in as is,especially if your low on funds..:crazy: