Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stall converter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purple76pearl, Jan 13, 2003.

1. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

if im running 35's with a stock 350/headers,intake,carb, and i do upgrade to 456 gears, being that im just now putting in my new tranny, would s stall converter help my 350 turbo tranny is so how big a stall /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

High stall = high heat. High stall may be good for mud racing, but it doesn't belong in a trail truck of any sort. you'll burn that tranny in very short order.

Rene

3. purple76pearl

purple76pearl 1/2 ton status

thank you so much, that helps me to never ask my friend for advise again, lol /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

One of the best things you can do for your tranny is a tranny cooler.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL...I'm sure he meant well.

Like Muddin said...a big tranny cooler is your friend! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Higher stall converters are usually used with big-cammed engines to get the rpms up higher before take off. If you have a stock/close to stock cam it would be best to stick with stock stall speed. As pointed out, it would cause more heat and would in effect shorten the transmission's life. It is a good idea to put a good cooler on it either way though.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run a 2400 stall and its not so bad. You do have to keep an eye on the temp guage. I run a big cooler with a deep aluminum pan and I keep an eye on the guage. Mud running and sand dragging or even truck pulling and driving on the street it works great. On the rocks or trying to float on the snow, its horrible. If you 35's with 4.56's, Forget about the stall unless your getting into mud racing. I plan on pulling mine out for Moab. Last year it hurt me more than anything.