Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stall speed?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 45acp, Jul 8, 2001.

1. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

What stall speed are you guys using for your converters? "Bow Tie Overdrive" offers either 1800 or 2200 in their transmissions. What works the best on difficult climbs and rocks?

Bill Hughes

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds way too high to me. Esp for rock crawling, etc. I run a stick, so I can't comment personally, but running a stall speed around 2000 RPM would be awful on the rocks. Your transmission would be slipping alot and creating tons of heat. Get the lowest stall speed available. Sometimes when I'm crawling around in low gear, I don't even get above 1000 RPM for a while...imagine how much that would suck with a high RPM stall.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. NoRulz

NoRulz 1/2 ton status

I run a towing converter, stall speed is around 1200ish... works great for crawling, just in dunes/cinders it makes for a very sluggish launch... being 95% of my wheeling is crawling that's worth it to me. I know some people running diesel type converters which can have a stall speed as low as 900-1000, & they work great for crawling, but you can start running into a problem of the truck actually having enough pull that you will have to push really hard on the brakes to stop going downhill & stuff... & it's only multiplied by low gearing (and doublers)

My Ford has chevy parts! it's all good!