Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stalled out!!! HELP?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boondock, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Boondock

Boondock Registered Member

This might be a shot in the dark, but what they heck. Twice, in as many days, my K5 (1986 Silverado, automatic, 305) has stalled out going over the same long, steep bridge. SAME SPOT exactly on the bridge. I'm sure it has something to do with the climb angle and duration of being at that angel, because it runs fine on the trails and in town. The electronics are fine... just had them fixed. Gas says half a tank, and I've had it down to 1/8 of a tank before, so I know it's not the guage that's wrong. I had my buddy push me in his Xterra (i know... hurts to admit that) over the crest of the hil, then I coasted down to the other side where she started like a charm. Kicked out a lot of dark black smoke from the exhaust though, doesn't normally do that. Well, thanks for reading this far. Any advice on what it could be? I am nearly broke, and would like to do the repairs myself, I just don't know where to begin with diagnosing the prob. HELP PLEASE???? The mud is calling my name.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Second place is a body bag.

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

well, this is just a shot in the dark, but you may want to check/replace the fuel "sock" that is on the pick-up tube, this sock acts as a pre-filter, catching all the large pieces before they get to the fuel filter...as the fuel is sloshed rearward from the hill, the sock gets clogged with dirt/debris/rust that is inside the tank and prevents it from getting to the engine....may also want to check the fuel pump, and the inline fuel filter also..there is a chance that your fuel tank has water in it, and once again the slosh of the fuel makes it accessable to the pick-up tube...try running a couple bottles of heet through it and watch where you buy your fuel....just ideas to give you somewhere to start...maybe someone else can help out more.....good luck, i hate these types of probs...

AIRBORNE!!

3. Boondock

Boondock Registered Member

Thanks Airborne! I'll try those remedies right away and see where I get.

The only easy day was yesterday.
    Second place is a body bag.

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Check float level in carb. Sounds too high and your carb is flooding.