Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stalling at lights????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CTBlaz45, Mar 19, 2004.

1. CTBlaz45

CTBlaz45 Registered Member

I think that I have checked everything. MY 89 K5 with TBI is stalling alot but only after it has been driven for awhile I have replaced O2 sensor plugs cap rotor wires vaccum lines used 2 different computer chips etc. It is ideling around 500 rpm is that to low? any sugestions help please. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

500 is too low. What tranny? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

3. CTBlaz45

700R4 I found an adjustment screw to open the buterfly a little more thus advancing the Idle I hope it was a good thing to touch. What should it be at? At start? And in gear at a light. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. CTBlaz45

I adjusted the screw which open the butterfly more, thus kicking up the idle. What should it Idle at on start and in gear when stoped? Oh and 700R4

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Check your IAC motor. This is what controls engine idle speed. You are not supposed to adjust the screw for the butterflys. Don't ask me why I have no idea but everyone I have ever talked to said do not adjust it.

6. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

bacause in EFI, hat is not an idle speed screw, it is a throttle stop/minimum air screw

the ECM controls idle via the IAC

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

EGR is probably your problem. It's probabluy open at idle and it's not supose to be.

8. CTBlaz45

Sorry to go back to this but I switched tbi unit to the Holley one. It is still stalling so where is the egr and how do I unstick it.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

the egr is on the intake manifold. There are variations on the shape etc of them, but it should be round, the base of it bolt to the manifold (bases can be diff shapes, top is round) and the top should be between 2 and 5" off the manifold and it will have a vac line going to it. You can see if it is stuck by pushing up on the rubber diaphragm inside the top (some have opening big enough other designs dont) if it is sticking (youll be able to feel it) replace it. I believe they are between 30 and 50 bucks. Also may try checking your IAC.

10. CTBlaz45

I don't think it is the IAC cause I swithced tbi unit and I beleave that is on the actual throtle body.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh its on the tbi, but w/ the holley you may have had to switch it over from your old one, unless the holley came w/ new sensors.

12. CTBlaz45

The Holley unt doeas have its own everything just have to plug it in. My EGR moves when I push it with my finger. The vac line off of it goes to some sorty of relay unit that unit also looks to have a fitting for another vac line but tere is none there and the Chiltons manual sucks for tracing that stuff. Any help.

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh the egr vac line goes to the map sensor. I believe my SB one had 2 vac ports on it and both were hooked up, ill have to try to find that thing, or a pic of it and see where it went.

14. CTBlaz45

MINe has 3 vac ports one form the egr, one from the TBI (in front) and a second in the rear with nothing.