Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stalling on braking

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Oct 17, 2003.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Not my K5, but the 89 Chevy Corrica stalls when you go to a stop. Auto trans. Any suggestions?

2. 72beater

72beater 1/2 ton status

this link helped me out.
    http://www.carbs.net/troubleshoot.htm
    web page I know your machine is probably not carb-ed but the same principles largely apply for troubleshooting the fuel system. On mine, It was a sticky choke and bad timing, plus a slight vacuum leak. Hope this helps.
    Ernest

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

auto trans car stalling when you come to stop...check the IAC...clean the intake and throttle body...might help..

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All the time, or only after it is run for a fairly long time...such as driving no the freeway, and coming up to the first stoplight.

If it stalls in the above scenario (or similar) then it's *probably* the torque converter clutch solenoid.

Sister had an '88 Beretta that did that. Worked fine when it was cold, but (not all the time) when it was warmed up, and cruised fairly steadily for a few minutes, it would stall coming to a stop. EXACTLY like what happens to a manual trans vehicle when you hit the brakes and don't take it out of gear.

Also sometimes had problems re-starting after it stalled, as soon as it was put in gear, it would stall again, unless you revved it up and dropped it in gear. Funny, but not good for the tranny.