Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stalling suburban

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by djcovarrubias, Feb 22, 2004.

1. djcovarrubias

djcovarrubias Newbie

My 1997 GMC Suburban is stalling. At first it happened when at a stop sign or slow speeds, now it's stalling while driving higher speeds on the highway. It's done this about 5 times now over the last 3 weeks. The car goes dead, you lose power, and the battery and service engine indicators go on. I was usually able to get it to start back up again by shutting down everything (radio, lights, etc.) and then turning the ignition. Since last night, however, the car went dead for good and won't start beyond a little reving of the engine.

I took the car in after the 1st time this happened and they told me some useless stuff about some carbon particle getting stuck in the exhaust and that "all the codes" checked out OK. Any ideas of what the problem might be?

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Sounds like an electrical problem to me. Possibly a loose or poor battery connection, loose main fuse or a broken cell in the battery. Start it up, put a meter on the battery terminals and turn on everything you have to see what happens.

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

when was the last tune up, plugs wires cap rotor?

4. djcovarrubias

djcovarrubias Newbie

Last tune-up was fairly recent, within the last 4-6 months. Also had transmission replaced in the last two months, which I'm assuming is a separate issue.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I would think if it was a battery connection,,the dash indicator lights whould also shut off, i have had that problem with the cable before, but from what he is describing, it sounds to me like something electronic is failing, maybe spark control module, fuel pump relay or something along the lines of that, are you not getting any engine codes from it at all? Heck could even be a bad ignition switch, had that happen too, keys would bounce around and shut it down, i had to move the key around to get it to fire back up. HMM, has it done this since or before the trans was replaced?

6. djcovarrubias

djcovarrubias Newbie

Never did it before the transmission was replaced...

7. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Does it even crank over right now? if so, check to see if your getting spark to the plugs. Ya got me thinkin now, it really could be anything, just gonna have to start checking things and see whats goin on.

8. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

fuel pump possibly??

NITRO

9. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It's a possibility, but usually he should be getting some like the code 44, i believe something like the oxygen sensor lean burn code. this is kinda weird if he's not getting any codes at all???? actually it may have just quit, i have seen that happen, on a friends truck, maybe it stops and when he restarted it, it basically resets everything to run for awhile and now it finally died. Check the fuel spray coming out of the injectors while someone tries to start the engine. You should have fuel spitting out while the engine is turning over. Let us know what you see you have got me thinkin to ohard now, it's starting to hurt /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

How m any miles are on this ride anyway??