Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stalling while wheel'n. need help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by red89gmc, Jul 16, 2001.

1. red89gmc

red89gmc Newbie

stalling while wheel\'n. need help

when i was offroading my truck stalled after crossing some big mud holes. i have factory lift 32s, new raptor tranny, rancho 9000 in-cabs, and a few other small up grades. what should i do to prevent stalling? my engine was running real hot. after it would stall i just took the cover off the air filter and let her dry out. then she would crank right up. should i look into a snorkel or maybe just a lift to get higher on the water, or a better way to cool the engine. any suggestions? thanks patrick

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Re: stalling while wheel\'n. need help

Did you get the motor all wet? If you did, you may have got mosture in the distibutor which will shut you down. There is many things that could shut you down. We might need more info.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: stalling while wheel\'n. need help

As for the motor getting hot. Is that the original motor. If it's larger or upgraded you may have to get a bigger radiator. A new water pump may be necessitated, or even a new thermostat. My suggestion would be to flush the whole cooling system (easy to do on our rigs) with a flushing kit (which includes cleaner), replace radiator (if too small), install new water pump (if old), thermostat ($5), and radiator cap ($11). Refill with 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze ($10) with a bottle of water pump lube ($8) not the crappy sealer which will plug heater cores. Then get a can of silicone spray ($5). Take the coil, cap, and rotor (HEI) and clean/dry with a lint free rag, reassemble and spray with silicone spray (on the outside only) to repel moisture on the cap and wires. If you are running an open element cleaner, you may want to consider some sort of shield for the front to keep fan splash away. I made my own top cover with a weld on extension in the front with a shield hanging down. I only put it on when needed and I use my other cover (because it's nicer looking) for pavement pounding. My $.02, hope it helps.

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?