Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stalling

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by new2k5, Mar 29, 2003.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i am haveing trouble with my 87 k5 it will be ok for a couple miles 25 or so then it will start stalling whenever i'm not on the gas then will not even start i replaced the fuel filter but that only help for a little while. if i let it sit for a couple days it will run for another 25 or so miles then do the same thing. this is driving me nuts since it is theonly vehichle i have and it supposed to get me and my girlfreind to work. please help even thoght i'm still blue i''l be orange whenever my truck stops stealing all my money being a peice of [censored] /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Do you have any trouble codes? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

Kinda sounds like what my truck did when the ignition module under the distributor cap went out. Did you check the spray pattern on the injectors? Sorry I can't be of any more help. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

th check enginelight comes on when it starts to stall.

i dont know how to check the spray pattern. i am kinda mechanicly retarded. i can replace just about anything but diagnoseing problems get me baffled

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

To check spray pattern remove the air cleaner and housing, and look at the throttle body while the truck is running. You should see a fine wide spray of gas coming from both injectors. What codes do you get when it stalls. The codes are stored until you disconnect the battery. The check engine light will only come on when the problem is present, but it will store a code even if the problem disappears. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

i know exactly what the problem is, my 87 GMC jimmy was doing the same thing. If it is not your Ignition module. Then it is most likely that you have a faulty ECM (computer). Check all connections at distributor and coil. But i have a feeling it is your ECM.

7. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Just some input from a mechanic. If you want to diag this correctly, you need to duplicate the problem. When it stalls and won't start check to see if you are losing spark or fuel. If you have no spark start with the module and distributor pickup, as this is a lot cheaper than the ecm. And ecm's are pretty bullet proof on these trucks. If it is a fuel problem there are too many tthings to explain how to check for a non mechanical guy but a fuel pressure gauge is where to start. Could be a fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, injector leak down, among other things. good luck, let us know what you come up with. If I can be of more help you can e-mail me.

8. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i dont know what codes i'm getting. the part that kills me is yesterady i couldn't even get it out of the driveway this morning it started right up and i drove it 10 + miles to a mechanic wit no problems. i'll let yall know what he says. i hate to pay someone but i really need my truck.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My guess is ignition module or fuel pump. The ignition module is very easy to replace, the fuel pump on the other hand can be a bear to replace, (ask me how I know). Does the truck shut off like someone reached over and turned the key off or does it kind of fumble then die? If it feels like someone reached over and turned the key off then it is probably the ignition module, if not then the fuel pump.