Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stalls or Cuts off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Dec 6, 2006.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Hey guys, over the last few weeks my truck's check engine light has come on randomly, i've checked all fluids, they are good, all plug wires are connected properly, dist. is tight, has new cap/rotor/coil/ignition module/wires/plugs.

When i am driving it will randomly stall out..or cut off for like 1second then continue going like normal,, i did it to me on the highway last night 2times and has been doing it around town randomly. I put some dry gas in there to see if that was the problem.. didnt seem to fix it. The thing is, the check engine light hasnt been on since this started 2days ago.

I tried to figure out the check engine code thing w/ a paper clip but it wont work for me??:confused: While the check engine light would come on.. it never did anything funky, now no light and its acting wierd. This is an 88 TBI 350 motor.. rest of stuff in signature.. any clue what could cause something like this? Just a sudden cut off from the engine for litterly 1sec and then keeps goign like normal. Thanks guys for anyhelp.

2. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

I had that same problem and the culprit was my pos bat cable was rubbing on the frame and wore a hole through the insulation and when the truck was sitting still it was fine but when i was driving it would cut out and the check engine light would come on and then turn off so i made a new cable and put a piece of heater hose over it where it goes between the frame and manifold and now it works perfectly. that problem had me scratching my head for a long time until i found out it was just a short i replaced all the same things you did and did the timing you name it i did it i put alot of money in a fix that would cost 4.50 for 2 terminals.

3. my88texastruck

my88texastruck Registered Member

It could also be your ECM has gone bad. I have been doing a lot of reading on AllData on my truck - 88 Chevy 350 TBI - and it explains this problem in that connections in the ECM can become loose/broken causing erratic operation. Try starting your truck and let it run until at operating temp. and then lightly tap the ECM with your hand and see if that causes any problems. If so, replace the ECM. It is located behind the glove box (remove it, 4 screws) up on the firewall under the dash.

4. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I have had the sametype of problem with my 88. but mine started about two months ago and only did a few times that day. then it did it again yesterday. both times was while going up a grade and only under acceleration. it completly cuts out for about a second then when I let off the gas its fine. it did until I reached the top of the grade and quit. now it wont do it at all, on grade or not. I cleaned my battery terminals yesterday one had some corrosion, maybe that will help

do you lose power to your radio and other electronics when it stalls out, or just the engine?

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

just my engine. everything else works..

6. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I would suggest changing the fuel filter on the frame rail on the passenger side of the vehicle. When my was getting plugged it would die under accelleration and at higher RPM's just cut out. Its a couple $$ part, easy to change and worth a try.

I would also suggest clearing the ECM codes (remove the ECM fuse for at least 10 seconds), and if/when the check engine light comes on, check the codes. Are you shorting the proper pins with the paper clip?

Turn ignition to On position, not running, short pins A&B (pins on top left) I believe you will get the code-12 first, then watch for follow-on codes after that. I believe each code is flashed 3 times.

Good luck

7. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

my buddys 88 k-5 was doing the same thing changed the throttle poistion sensor and it runs fine