Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stalls out on me randomly

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i have a 1989 GMC fullsize jimmy and for some reason it likes to stall out on me randomly, it usually happens when i come to a stop light but only after ive been sitting there for a while, i just put in a new throttle positioning sensor, is that the problem? somebody help me please /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem. Turned out to be the battery cable to the starter.Cleaned the cable stud on the starter and replaced the cable...haven't had a problem since.

3. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

It may be the fuel pump going. Does it start up imedeately after or do you have to crank it quite a bit before it fires up?

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Have you looked for vacuume leaks yet?

Eric

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Was it doing this before you installed the new TPS? Did you set the idle voltage correctly when you installed the TPS?

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If your truck has a lot of miles on it, you'll want to do this one anyway...Idle Air Control...its on the TBI, jsut a sensor that scres in. Might be that when its idling it gives a bad reading, tells the comp to lower the RPM's till it dies. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, you'll have a nice smooth idle...also check ignition module, mine did that kinda stuff when it was on its way out.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The Idle Air Control motor isn't a sensor. It's a stepper motor with a pintle on the end. The computer senses RPM directly from the distributor, then uses that data to tell the IAC if it needs to drive in and lower RPM (make the air bleed past the throttle plates smaller) or drive out and raise RPM (make the air bleed larger). The IAC motor doesn't send any information back to the ECM. Each time the engine is started, the ECM drives the IAC motor all the way in, so that it knows where it can start counting the motor steps from. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif However, a stuck or broken IAC motor can cause the motor to stall at idle. But it's a rather expensive part to just randomly replace as a troubleshooting step.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My IAC was only about $20 but it was at autozone...idle had been really bad, stalled on occasion, and wouldn't pass inspection

9. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

i have to crank it for a little bit and give it some gas to get it rolling