Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

stalls turning right only

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlazinNewTrails, Aug 3, 2003.

1. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

Hey guys,
    My 83 Blazer is stalling "occasionally" when making right turns. It does not do it while sitting still even going lock to lock. I've had someone turn the wheel right while I try to wiggle every wire I can find, and nothing seems to bring it on.
    I coast to a stop and put it in "park" and she starts right up.
    It doesn't feel like fuel but more like the ignition loses power.
    Any ideas would be greatly appeciated.

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Talk with NITRO. He's having this problem with his truck too, not sure if he's figured it out yet.

3. BlazinNewTrails

BlazinNewTrails Registered Member

Thanks 75! I'll see if he's figured it out yet.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Are you running the stock air cleaner housing? If so, check to see if the return spring is still in place on the thermal flap that draws in heated air when the engine is cold. My S-Jimmy would cough and sputter every time I turned right, especially on long sweeper exit ramps from the freeway. It was driving me nuts until I happened to notice that little spring was broken. Once I fixed that, it ran fine. I think it was just swinging closed when making right turns and choking the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Hmm, since you can't send PM's you might have a hard time getting a hold of him. I'll mention it next time I talk to him and let you know what he's found out.

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

had a simular problem, it was a wire rubbed bare running from my starter through a metal tube behind the manifold to a distribution block I think. right turns only, took forever to find it.

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey...keep me posted. also check all the fusable links and fuses themselves. dont ya just hate eletrics? if all else fails...u can wire in another key switch....and if ya needa do that...then ill help ya with that too.

NITRO

8. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Could be something loose and causing a vibration...

This vibration could be interpreted by the computer as ignition knock, and the computer can retard ignition until it stalls. I haven't heard of this on a truck... but I have heard of it on the cars.. when the sway bar breaks.. they rattle when the turn and the engine dies...

Good luck.

9. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Others have had similar problems and it turned out to be a broken baffle inside the gas tank. It only happened when they were at 1/4 tank though. Just thought I'd throw that out there since no one else has mentioned it.

10. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ok i had this porb when i had my first truck with a 250 l6 the carb was loose at the base plate just an idea made me mad when i found it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

First thing I would check is the ground strap to the firewall from the back of the passenger side head. If it loses connection at times, your engine will shut off. This is the most common ground strap for people to miss because it is hidden to an extent back there.