Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Stamping sheet metal panels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    OK this is my retarded question for the week...Where can I get or find out how to make the dies for stamping sheetmetal body parts (fenders quarters whatever) I can get a good deal on a press and was wondering if it was feasible to make my own body parts.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hehe, not likely. The dies are the trouble. They are very expensive and difficult to make. Eastwood sells alls sorts of fab equipment (english wheels, breaks, benders, hammers/slappers, etc.) for hand crafting stuff if you really need something for antiques or something but, again, it aint easy and it takes allot of skill..

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Ummm, how big a press are you getting a deal on? The presses used to make body panels have beds bigger than the part being made, to accomodate the dies and the big hunk of sheetmetal needed to create those parts. We're talking about a press that'll take up the majority of a 1-car garage and will need dedicated electrical service (at least 50 amp, 3-phase) to run, along with the services of a millwright company to get it into place where you want it.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

We are talking BIG mofo press. It weighs 18ton, Has twin 12" rams, capible of pressing 900 Bar(1bar=100000 Pascal...1 pascal=1newton per square meter) It can squash a cat so flat you cant figure out what it could even be. We made it a few years back as a prototype, but as with most prototypes it had its faults and could not handle production use (cycle rate was too slow, cracks in the frame etc) My boss has been trying to give to me for awhile now, He swears it will make a hell of a lawn ornament. I moved it to where it sits now so I think I could move it again.

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

It can squash a cat so flat you cant figure out what it could even be.

<hr></blockquote>

So is this knowledge that was gained as a result of testing said prototype? [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Correct me if I"m wrong, but you can't just go buy dies for auto body panels, can you? Wouldn't they be a registered type of object? Sort of like a Barbie? You can't just go out and buy a Barbie mold, make some dolls and sell them as the actual product. If I"m not mistaken, some car companies even destroy the dies for previous vehicles so they can recoup the cost. I'm assuming they recycle the metal somehow.
    Good luck though. If you have any luck, I could use a new body for an 84 k5.

7. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

For the cat thing.....I know nothing, I saw nothing...lol.....I have no idea about the dies I have never even seen them anywhere.....just wondering if some retired Detroit autoworker happed to have a whole bunch and was using them for paperweights or something.....seems like they would be pretty hard to make anyone even know how its done?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

8. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As far as making the dies, they probably used to be castings, made from sand-casts of fiberglass skins, which were laid over clay models. Now, they're probably CNC-machined.

As far as the the press, yeah, that would probably be powerful enough, it would just be a size issue.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!