Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Standard and Auto starters...different?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Feb 11, 2007.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

Starter went out on my truck w/ SM465.

Can I use an auto starter I have or does it need a different one?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to lessen the previous advice, as long as they look externally the same, they will work.

Had this problem a couple weeks back. Looked at 4 starters at LEAST, that were all stated as being for various 73-87 truck applications, not a single one of them was identical. Bigger or smaller solenoids, different length starter bolts (not cheap new, $6/each) cast iron or aluminum noses, bolt to bellhousing or block, staggered or straight bolt pattern, and so on.

4. sullivan8

sullivan8 Banned

came across this post because i too am experiencing the same predicament. i only have these starters for another vehicle and i just wanted to ask if this would work for my truck.

yeah they look quite similar. so i assume you're also advising me to go for it. thanks!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Older trucks with the SM465 used a different nose made of casr iron,on the starter,that bolts into the bellhousing instead of having the usual 2 bolts into the engine block--but you can take the nose off the old starter and swap it right onto one meant for an automatic...

I once got a 350 engine free that ran perfect,but the guy who removed it had a mishap,it fell off the engine hoist and landed on the starter,and a chunk of the block busted off where the outer starter bolt went...it was a sweet runner,but useless as far as being able to bolt a starter to it ever again,it couldn't be welded--but my truck had the SM465 that used the bellhousing mounted starter,so it didn't pose any roblem for me to use!..:D