Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

standard axle Q??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by southernspeed, Feb 29, 2004.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know you'll all say 'get bigger axles' but that's not an option at the moment. My'78 has D44 front (open) and 12 bolt rear (soon to be locked(lock-right)).Q is, I have 33's at the moment but want to put 35's on. I use it for medium wheelin and road(but not DD). Are they strong enough for 35's? or should I stick to 33's? Any personal experiences greatly appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I have 76 with D44 & 12bolt with 4:56 and lockers running 38's on them fine for about 2 years now, I have run 36's for several years before with the same combo. I am planning to upgrade to D60 & 14BFF combo for the brute strength as I have had minor axle breakage before. But for mild trail riding D44 & 12bolt combo is fine.
    Bill

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

With a locker and tires 35 and under I wouldn't worry. I have a 12 bolt rear too. A little stronger than a 10 bolt in the ring gear area and about the same everywhere else. The best thing to do to keep it alive is to try to keep a light right foot. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always been told that with 35's on up it's not a matter of if 1/2 ton axles will break, but when they'll break. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would say you will be alright. I ran 33x14.50 SSR's on dual 10 bolts for a while and never had any problems with some decent HP pushing them.