Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Standard or Auto tranny for towing??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fasthumpman, Dec 16, 2005.

1. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

hey guys im bout to buy my new truck which will be used to tow my blazer from place to place quite a bit. im interested in the chevrolet 1500 HD 4x4 and am wondering if anyone knows the reliability of an automatic vs. that of a standard. im voting for standard bc they dont seem as complex and so freekin expensive to fix if somthing does go wrong. Thanks for any input.

-AARON

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

It's a preference, IMHO. I like standard, much more robust, no heat issues. They last longer (usally), the clutch will go sooner, but that's alot better than burning up your auto($$$$). And I can't stand the way autos shift. Every time I get in one, man, it's brutal. Hunting around trying to find the gear you want. Towing with one is worse. (at least for me!)
    I'm sure lots of people say autos are better and just as reliable. And for them, mabey they are.
    Make it a poll!

3. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I agree its all in preference and your skill with a manual. With todays R&D, warranty, etc. I dont think one is better than the other. Does the 1500 HD come with the Alison? An auto built for towing will do great, shift smooth, no clutch to burn out, etc. The manual gives you more control, ability to pick your gear, hold it in a gear etc. If you are good you can shift it as smooth as an auto. Big Rigs use manuals just fine. And alot of moving trucks use autos. Tho I would like a new truck with a 6 speed!! :laugh:

4. K30CJ

K30CJ 1/2 ton status

I have had manuals in most of my tow vehicles. I went with an auto this time because my wife drives the truck more than I do since I got a company vehicle. I must say I love the Allison. I works beautifully with the Dmax and always seems to do what I want it to do. It feels like an auto should feel in a truck, not like a car auto in a truck.

I'm sticking with the manual in the trail rig.

5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I say manual. I've owned and abused many with few problems.

6. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I've towed with both. I prefer the manual tranny. I hate hearing the auto gear hunt all the time.

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tow with both versions of transmissions in nearly the same trucks.

My '01 Ram Cummins with an auto
    Dad's '02 Ram Cummins HO 6spd
    '98 GMC C30 454/NV4500
    '76 C30 454/th400

I've towed the same stuff behind all four vehicles, so I've had lots of chances to compare the auto vs. manual under load behind BOTH a big block gas engine and a turbo diesel.

Here is what I've come up with. I like the manual behind the BBC, a gas V8 is snappier than the diesels and really gets up and goes with a manual. Better fuel economy also whil pulling with the manual.

With our diesels it's kind of a double edged sword. The 6 spd in my dad's truck is great with the exhaust brake and no worries about burning up OD with a stick. The downside is it seems the manual is slower to accelerate than the auto. This is due to the turbo lag mostly, but initial take off is also slower due to having to let out on a clutch and sometimes take out in granny when very heavy.

I can run in OD with my 47RE auto in my Ram Cummins but I now have a perfromance converter, valve body, and internals. I wouldn't tow much in OD with a stock auto with much weight. My auto is nice if I have to tow a lot in town. I also find my auto to be somewhat better in the mountains pulling our sled trailer, I don't have to constantly shift. :wink1:

I don't even think you can get anything but a 4L65E in an HD1500, GM pretty much did away with a manual transmission in anything but a 3/4or 1 ton. The 4L65E will be just fine with a K5 on a trailer, and is probably your only option anyway with that model.