Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Standard style driveshaft with 7" of lift?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by josh86k10, Sep 10, 2005.

1. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Going up 1" and back 1.5" to 7" of suspension lift on a shortbed p/u. Will a normal (non-CV) rear driveshaft be okay for this application? Since driveshaft mods are necessary anyway, now is the time to ditch the bastard joint (S44 to 1350). What trucks would have a one piece 1350 shaft with a 208 slip yoke? Or would it be okay to just have the driveshaft shop put a 1350 yoke on the end of my 1/2 ton shaft (leaving the S44 up top)? Thanks in advance.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got ~9" of lift with stock non-cv style on my k5 that was lengthened about 3" or so i believe. if you have the right shims, you'll be fine. i just have 5* on now and when im driving and coasting u can hear the ujoints binding up a lil (grinding noise). i just got 18* shims to make up for that, so it should be fine once i put them on. i would just stick with the stock non-cv style unless u got alot of money to spend. thats what im doing until i figure out what im going to do in terms of t-cases. i do plan to eventually get a cv shaft prolly from HAD, but right now its fine as it is, just gatta install the new shims. you could also rotate ur axle, then u wouldnt need shims.

3. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I plan on cutting my hack-job square tube spring perches off again anyway. I just bought some new 14bff perches from ORD so that I can use an angle finder and set the pinion angle. With a standard driveshaft I want the angle to be identical top and bottom, right?

4. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That would be correct. It's extremely important at higher lifts to minimize vibrations. I've got 8 inches front and back and have had few problems with my non-cv rear driveshaft. Both angles are about 14 degress and I have very few vibrations.