Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Start up after long winter

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tonyraca, Feb 28, 2001.

1. Tonyraca

Tonyraca Registered Member

I am going to be starting my '79 k5 up for the first time in about 5 months. I took out the battery hoping that it wouldn't get drained just sitting there the whole time especially in the winter. I tried to start it up a month ago, but it was cold outside and it just wouldn't start( i did put the battery in for that). Any suggestions on how to get this thing running?

Tony's Rusty 79

2. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

It is possible that your gas has lost its combustability. First pull one of the plugs and ground it to the block while spinning the motor to make sure that you have fire. If you do put it back on and spray some WD-40 into the carb and see if it will fire off on that. This will lube your top end as well as be very explosive in the cylinders. If you have fire and it still will not crank on the WD then you have a compression problem.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

After that long, the fuel in the float bowls has probably all evaporated out the vent tubes. It'll take quite a bit of cranking for them to refill. Then the engine should start.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>