Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Start-up puff

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Jul 26, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Well, usually when starting up first thing in the morning, my Jimmy lets out a little puff of blue-ish smoke. I've been told that it's the valve seals. Anyone think otherwise? Any half-assed fix without major surgery? - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska

2. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Oh Yeah

Thats the valve seals. If you have an air compressor you can change them without removing the head. Also heard you can do it with a rope but I would never do it. Shops gonna charge you 200-300 to do it.

Peter Schneider
    81 Jimmy

3. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

It is the valve seals, would not worry about it till it gets bad. But it is easy to do if you have an air compressor. My 89 did this for 5 years never caused any problems.

4. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

ditto DMK....except 6 years now

SteveB

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

mine, too

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. shadetree

shadetree Registered Member

I am new to this forum, but I have seen this topic a million times, as I am sure others have. It is definitely the valve seals and my daily driver has done this for 10 years now. I wouldn't do anything about it until you have another reason to take things apart. My puff of smoke has not caused me any problems and it helps kill mosquitos. I'll admit, though, it is a little embarassing when it blows back into your girlfriend's face. I have never replaced only the seals, so I cannot comment on how difficult it is with the engine in the truck. But other than a little annoyance, you should be able to drive it for long time with the puff. It is an engineering flaw on the older factory heads. If you start burning a lot of oil, though, it may warrant your time and $$ to fix them.

7. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

My K5 has done it for a few months. My radiator developed a leak on a long trip - overheated and ever since - ppof!! blue smoke every morning. My wifes vortec S10 Blazer did it too. Fixed the S10 for $100.

8. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

valve guide seals. you can buy a puller for it where you dont have to remove the heads or use compressed air. if your truck is more than 10 years old i would replace them all because once one rots out they all follow quickly

9. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Keep an eye on your plugs..........The oil that gets through the seals can foul them a lot faster. I've been a member of the "Puff-O-Blue Club" ever since I bought my truck, and other than replacing my plugs once about 3 years ago, there haven't been any other obvious complications- Other than the embarassment of "Hey bud, your truck's on fire" comments!

10. istallion88k5

istallion88k5 1/2 ton status

Mine does the same and I am about to put new plugs in it, anyone try those Bosch platinum plugs, and are they worth it?

If it aint a Chevy don't raise it up!