Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

START UP SMOKE???

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by FLASHLIGHT76, Jul 18, 2002.

1. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

OK I GOT A 350 TBI AND WHEN IT STARTS IT SMOKES WHITISH BLUE FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS MAYBE LESS. IS THIS NORMAL OR WHAT? MY TWO OTHER FRIENDS SUBS DO THE SAME THING JUST CURIOUS IF ANYONE ELSES DOES? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Mine does the same thing...can't figure it out.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pretty much every GM small block on the planet starts to do the early-morning-puff somewhere around 80-100K miles. The valve seals get hard and let oil drip down the valve stems when the truck is parked. When it sits long enough, there is enough of an oil film on the valves that it burns off all at once when the engine starts. Suddenly you're driving Puff The Magic Dragon for a short time. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif It's nothing to worry about unless the engine starts smoking all the time. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

THAT'S KIND OF WHAT I HAD FIGURED. GLAD TO HEAR ITS A COMMON THING. THE FUNNY THING WAS I HAVN'T LOST ANY OIL AT ALL. THAT'S WHAT GOT ME THINKING UNBURNT FUEL AFTER SHUT DOWN. OH WELL. SO I LOOK LIKE I'M SMOKING WEED FIRST THING IN THE MORNING. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I'VE NOTICED THAT IT IS TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE WHICH WOULD MAKE SENSE WITH EXPANSION OF THE HEAD IN THE HEAT AND CONTRACTION IN THE COLD. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif THERE'S MY PHYSICS LESSON FOR THE DAY /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. dbltapp

dbltapp 1/2 ton status

mine has been doing it for awhile. i lose about a quart every month or two. If it really bothers you, you could put the umbrella seals on, but i don't think it is worth the money. Mine is starting to smoke a little longer than she used to!

6. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Mine has 186000 miles on it and is still running strong (enough). It does some smoking too. I thought about doing the heads but I figured I should just wait till I could afford to do the entire engine.

7. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

i replaced my engine at 240,000 miles and at the time it run "ok".. so i bought a nice rebuild and now i'am getting fouling on #6 and a puff of smoke when i start her up... do those umbrella seals really work well or are they just a bandaid to another problem??

8. dubl_t

dubl_t 1/2 ton status

i've used the seals, worked great. I don't think they're a bandaid, just another way to solve a problem. Nice thing is, you don't have to pull the heads.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

whats involved in doing this?

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author