Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Start up??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Aug 11, 2000.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

I've got an 88 with TBI. The past couple of days it been starting really hard. The starter fires up no problem but the engine just doesn't seem to want to turn over. After a couple of tries and the gas pedal applied slightly it fires up , with a cloud of blueish-white smoke, which can't be good. It has a new starter, cables, and battery. Not sure what it may be, but any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!!

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Have you changed the coil and plugs/rotor/cap? Is it TBI? If so. How about the fuel filter? You can find it in the passenger frame rail inboard. Is your fuel pump doing its job? The fuel pump is mounted on the sending unit in the tank, the little b@#$ds have this tendancey to give out intermittently. Or get that filter sleeve clogged with rust from the tank. Are your injectors working?

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Not sure if I am understanding what you mean. The starter is working fine, is the engine turning over like normal, but not firing, or is the engine very hard to turn over like its dragging?

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Just wanted to say thanks for the posts guys and here's the info you asked about. Its an 88 with TBI. I've changed the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, and fuel filter all in the last 6 months or so. The engine turns over, but does not want to fire up. Usually takes 2-3 tries until the engine fires up. It only gives me a hard time when she's cold no problems when its warmed up. Gonna check the injectors asap, any tips in this area?

5. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Injectors are a good place to start but I thought TBI engines didn't have injectors (fuel delivery & mix is the role of the Throttle Body). I'd give the TB unit a real good cleaning since it seemed to start after giving it a little pedal (which, as you know ain't necess./TBI engines).

Good Luck,
    <font color=red>David, '86 K5</font color=red>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes the TBI does have injectors, 2 of em right on top. One thing to check is the spray pattern of the injectors when the engine is running. Pull the air cleaner assembly off, fire the engine up and have a look at the fuel spray coming out of the injectors, it should be a fine mist in the shape of a cone. Any dripping from the injectors is a sign they need cleaning.

Rene 81 Jimmy,350,SM465/NP205,FF14 bolt,HD Dana 44,3.73's,4"susp.,35"Grabber MT's,body in progress

7. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Have you changed your ignition module?They sometimes stick I keep an extra with me when I go out .Also how does It idle it should high idle then after 30 sec it should slowly come down if not your idle control solonoid is bad ,its on the left side round with a four plug .I also have an 88 .

8. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

What's the best way to clean the injectors? No I haven't changed my ignition control module. I don't have a high idle that kicks down after 30 sec like you mentioned. The engine surges only slightly up and down. Looks like it may be time to replace the idile control selonoid. Have you changed your ignition control module? I'd like to upgrade to the MSD 6 Offroad ignition someday, put one in my last truck and it made a noticable difference.