Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I'm nut sure the mad icon does justice. Can't get dam thing started. Happened once last week. Power to lights, no fuses out that I can see, power to fire wall, power to ignition swich, power at starter, won't turn over, not even get any electricty to fuel pump. This implies an incomplete circuit, but where is what I can't figure, and how is it an on again, off again thing? Trying to think in my head the loop the juice has to flow, but can't see what the *(&(* I am missing. New battery to boot. I am going insane, please help.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Check your motor/body ground. Mine did basicly the same thing and it was the ground wire that goes to the block, I replaced the neg cable, cleaned the ground and have not had a problem since! give it a a whirl and let me know what happens.

<*)))><

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!

IT'S A DOG EAT DOG WORLD OUT THERE, AND I'M WEARING "MILK BONE" UNDERWEAR!!!!!!!!

3. TheGeneral

I'll give that a try Sun (next chance) but can you tell me the electrical loop. I have a pos to starter from bat. positive from battery to firewall, where it the power to the ign. coming from? From Starter, or firewall, and what ciruit to solenoid is completed by igninition. This is really bugging me.

The General

4. TheGeneral

Come on, no one has any info or ideas on this.

The General

5. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

if your body ground is good then check the neutral safety switch, if the neutral safety switch is bad it no go :) another thing to check is the light switch, that thing can draw some power, especially if there is a short, well its not really a short, more like a power surge type thing, but comes from not having a good body ground, as far as the loop goes if from the solenoid it goes through the neutral safety or clutch safety swithch depending on if you have auto or manual then on to ignition, does that sound right--anyway i hate wiring too :)

"growin old is not for sissies"

6. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a bad ground. Just because the ends/terminations look good doesn't mean the inside of the cable isn't toast!!! And for intents and purposes take the starter off and have it tested.

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

7. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Use a volt meter and get under the truck and test the signal wire to the starter solenoid. (get someone to turn the key for you) If you get juice to the starte solenoid, but no start, replace the starter. If thats not it I would check to see if you have a wire that gets voltage when the key gos into the start position coming out of the bottem of the steering column and into the fuse block area. On my truck its a big purple wire i think. Remeber it is the one that only gets voltage when the key gos to the start position. If there arent any that go hot, then its probably your ignition switch. If you find the one that gets voltage check and follow the same wire from under the dash into the engine compartment. Look for any fuseable links within the wire that may have gone bad. I had a relay from an old alarm system go bad somewhere along there. Took me forever to find it. Continue doing the same sort of thing checking all the possible wires involved and make sure to think logicaly. With electrical problems your voltmeter is your best friend. Good luck.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

8. TheGeneral

fixed, but one a pain in the arse. It was a wire short (on again off again at the wiring harness going through firewall, yea, real fun to find. LOL.

The General