Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

startdammyou

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newblazin86, Sep 20, 2001.

1. newblazin86

newblazin86 Registered Member

hi newbie here just got a 86 k5 blazer i changed the spark plugs wires cap and rotor now the it wont start! i'm sure i got the firing order right any sugestions? would be much apreaciated.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Coil to cap cable correct? Did it start before the changes?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If it ran before you changed all that I'd go back and double check the firing order...then check some other things like maybe you knocked the 12 volt lead off the cap? It's usually the little simple things that give me fits some days![​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. newblazin86

newblazin86 Registered Member

yes it ran b4 i started messin with it

5. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Are you getting any spark at the plugs? Make sure none of the wires in and around the distributor got bumped loose / broken. About a year ago, I was in the same predicament. The culprit turned out to be a busted wire for the pick-up coil in the distributor. Apparently I must have bumped it one time too many and it simply cracked due to old age brittleness.

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

6. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

you sure the dist was pointing at cyl #1 at TDC also did you disconnect the batt when you did this you could of damaged the module in the dist.

also i think there are 2 types of HEI rotors short and a tall one, not sure about this but you may want to duoble check.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis</a>

7. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

first you gotta figure out if its fuel or elec problem (probly elec) use a can of starting fluid, and aim well, one back fire and the aircleaner turns into air polution. then buy a Chilton and make sure you did every thing right, but if it doesn't fire at all it is probly a coil problem

Tork DSR
    I just got a winch, it takes the fun out of things.
    www.torkpig.homestead.com

8. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well if you wanna see if you have spark then pull one of the wires off of the distributor, grab the post and turn the motor. j/k DO NOT actually do that, you'd be in for one hell of a jolt if it were live. What you can do actually is pull out one of your spark plugs, put on the wire and lay the tip of the plug against the manifold or head, something with a good ground. Then have a buddy crank the motor and watch to see if you see a spark jump in the plug. My guess is that you have a wire going to the distributor loose or something. You might also wanna put your old stuff back in, if it works than you know somebody sold you a bum part.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

9. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Make sure the coil wires aren't broken under the insulation (HEI). Fought with a new coil for hours, only to find my 12V lead broken about an inch in under the jacket. Resoldered it and the motor sprang to life. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's good!

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

10. dragricinMT

dragricinMT 1/2 ton status

Only one rotor for HEI. NAPA # is RR171.

78-K5 4"Lift 35"Tires 400SB TH350 NP205
    73 Vega 350SB TH350