Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started but what is this?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazerbob, Apr 23, 2000.

1. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

As I said in previous post my K5 died while driving on the highway yesterday. Lost power so I gave it more gas and it popped in the carb then died. I thought it was the wires to the starter which were melting on the headers so I rewired it today but still no start. The motor turns over but the starter is making a little grinding noise which it didn't before and it doesn't seem to be getting any spark at the plugs. What do I look for now? PLEASE HELP!!!!! Update-
    checked and it is getting power to distributor but not through cap.Dist. is older one with no ECM.
    <font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Still won\'t start ,HELP!

You might want to check the ECM located in the distributor. I had the same no spark problem and it was the ECM. Also check the battery wire going to the distributor to see if there is power.

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Re: Still won\'t start ,HELP!

ROTFLMAO..... I can't believe some people can't read.
    This happened to an old ford I had, replace the condensor, it'll start right up. 99% guaranteed
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

4. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

Update

Changed the coil and it started but it still is not running right. It is blowing a thick white-gray smoke out of the exhaust after revving it. There is also a slight whistling noise from the left side exhaust. While starting it pops and sprays fuel up through the carb.The oil and antifreeze look fine. When the engine was replaced the cylinders and heads were the only thing not messed with. Could it now be rings,valves,distributor,or Carb? At least its in my driveway now.

5. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

Re: Update

Think your wife was right. "Here comes trouble"
    Check the valves, sounds like you had ignition with in and out valve open, might have caused some damage to carb and exhaust.

Balou
    '79 K5,350,465,205
    [​IMG] get fuc.... M-Class out of my way !!! [​IMG]

6. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I had an 80 model do the same thing. It would start but ran like crap. I tried everything and couldn't figure it out???? A buddy of mine told me to chexk oout and see if my catalytic convert and or muffler was stuffed up, i thought he was crazy, well after two days of scratching my head, and walking I might add, i finally cut off my muffler, and it ran like crap, i cut off the cat, and it ran like a dream. A LOUD LOUD LOUD dream. just a thought.

89K5 payed 3k for the rig, spent almost 7k in the last 6 months on upgrades!!!!

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Sounds like one of the backfires blew off a vacuum line. Maybe the one that controls the EGR valve on the exhaust manifold. That would cause the whistling(vacuum) and the poor running(EGR valve closing off exhause).

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

if its an HEI check the module if not that,it has a pickup that tells when to fire I replaced mine tonight .

9. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I am thinking it is something to do with the timing. The motor is not turning over easy so thinking plugs are not firing at right time. No cat,ECM or EGR so thats out. I got it running by putting on new cap and coil but still not right so going to try changing dist(nice to have a parts K5) after replacing starter again! Starters are breaking cause engine to hard to turn over. Will update this weekend. Thanks for suggestions!

10. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Have you checked the timing. I had a similar thing happen to my olds Delta 88. Checked everything to no avail. then the guy finds it had jumped timing. I replaced the chain and it ran good as new.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]

11. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

The chain is a brand new double roller just put in when motor was done so it shouldn't have jumped but I will be checking that after I get the starter in.

12. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

When I got my Blazer it was doing the same thing yours does took it to a carb shop and the timing was way off, about 10 minutes after and $15 the truck was running like a dream good luck.

keep blazin !!!