Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

started chemotherapy on my 69 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sponsoredbydad, Jul 29, 2004.

1. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just started repairs/revival of my favorite kid. it's my first time ever trying anything like this. The metal parts you can buy sure have to be modified to fit [OEM my ass!] Anyway here are some photos
    any ideas on the windshield frame repair welcome. Was thinking maybe cut one off a truck and modify? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[]

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Nice looking rigs. Sorry I am of no help in the anti-rust war. From afar those rides look pretty sweet though. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Oh, and I'm sure that you have looked, but check out the Cancer Support Group post at the top of the 1st gen forum. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

I replied to you on an eariler message about this topic and if I was to do it over (and mine wasn't as bad as yours) I'd do a custom header with tubing.

Even when you fix this to be like stock, you're likely to have the same problem in 10-20 years if you did a great job of sealing your welds. (less if you didn't and it's real difficult to seal when you can't get at the inside of the header because you just welded it closed...)

What I'd do is cut out the whole back side of the header and you could even do the posts. Repair the side that faces out (body side) then weld in rollbar tubing to the backside of the "skin". You could even integrate it into a rollbar that goes down to the floor. The result would be far stronger and wouldn't rust. The top just needs something level and smooth to seal against.

The existing header is just a series of overlapped sheetmetal that really looks like more of an adaption of the truck frame instead of a design specific to the Blazer. The result is a somewhat flimsy rust magnet.

This may sound harsh but after you mess with repairing one for 3 mon. you get a little jaded.

4. sponsoredbydad

OK thanks for the idea I think that is my best choice.am going to finish the rockers first before the windshield gets touched. I like the intergrate it to a roll cage though. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif& /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Rust??? In California??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

If you feel like messing with imagestation I have a bunch of albums to check out on my experiences Cancer repair

7. sponsoredbydad

I checked out your pics. guess i should not feel so bad for myself what you had to deal with looks much worse than mine does.cant beleve you used a oxy/ace welder i did not to even go that route. bought a lincoin 3200 from home depo. you gave me hope i've been kinda afraid to start the actual welding part.thanks for the reply. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. sponsoredbydad

And yes RUST in calafornia guess I live too close to the giant SALTwater pond the morning dew is pure cancer just waiting to attack any thing that is not coated in tons of protection /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif my 69