Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started fender trimming today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Aug 4, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  2. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Atta Boy! Look's like Your taking the "tare" weight down too, by the look's of all that dirt that fell outta there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    Atta Boy! Look's like Your taking the "tare" weight down too, by the look's of all that dirt that fell outta there! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That ain't dirt, thats RUST! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG] (edit added pic)
    Thats the PO's brake lines job, No wonder I had to pump the brakes a few times to get them to work. All the brake and fuel lines will be re-ran before the new tank goes in.
    Then HOPEFULLY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In September sometime HarryH3 and Kenny W are setting me up with a new FRAME!!!!!
    Thanks guys, make all the other work seem a little more barable now /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jjlaughner

Here's the gas tank that came out
    [​IMG]

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what kinda tires you gonna run? size wise?...that a 12 bolt rear??

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

By the look's of all the rust, They must really dump what Salt? on the road's back there! Man I thought CG90 was bad. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

the scary thing is that rust doesnt look " not normall" lol to me..lol

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That looks kind of like the pile of crap I sweep up after doing anything with my 'Burb....

9. jjlaughner

This truck is running 31's, its plow truck. I dont think its a 12bolt, its just how I bought it, I haven't done anything mechanical to it besides putting a rubber line on the return for the power steering pump (temp fix, the old line rusted out and popped, as did all the fuel and brake lines, that why they are the flex tube stuff that hanging down). /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

As far as what I'm going to run, when the new frame gets here I got a 14bolt with 4.10s that's getting disk brakes, then I'm going to slap some 36's on and swap the body onto the new frame. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

You better get back to work! It is only a matter of time before you put 35's on it. Go ahead and cut up more in the back (less drag) up to your tail lights. More in the front as well, back to the firewall. And why did you take your bumpers off? Those things are easier to cut through than the sheet metal! It's a style thang (as in I ain't got none)

11. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    That looks kind of like the pile of crap I sweep up after doing anything with my 'Burb....

[/ QUOTE ]

EVERYTIME! If you close the doors hard, if the wind blows funny, close the tailgate... It rains rust. After I cut out the fenders and someof the floor pans its not as bad. But I do get BOXES of rust to setout for the trash guys once a month /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

12. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    You better get back to work! It is only a matter of time before you put 35's on it. Go ahead and cut up more in the back (less drag) up to your tail lights. More in the front as well, back to the firewall. And why did you take your bumpers off? Those things are easier to cut through than the sheet metal! It's a style thang (as in I ain't got none)

[/ QUOTE ]

NEXT SUMMER! When it goes onto the donor frame I'm thinking tubed front fenders with the factory hood and narrow the grill /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
    Other plans are replacing the rockers with tube, removing the fiberglass top and either doing a ragtop or full convertable (that all depends on if the barn gets build this fall). Otherthings might be some body armor since I got alot of rust on the sheet metal, some threw like where the badges where.

As far as bumpers, it was all bent up from the PO hitting something, I had to cut the tank bolts (to replace the rusted out leaking tank) and since I had no torch I had to remove the bolts with the cutoff wheel, to get to those bolt the bumper had to come off so it had to be cutoff too. The licence plate is getting mounted to the tailgate and I'm thinking 2"x4"x 1/8th wall tube and making my own brackets to mount and clevis mounts also. I would like to run the exhaust threw the bumper like the old MO offroad blazer. I have a lot of 'PLANS'. Just need to find a job to make them happen. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have a D44 with 4.10's and I'm building the 14bolt with disks, 4.10's and locker to hold the 36" TSL's I'm wanting on some simulated beadlocks I'm thinking up (just need to find someone with a plasma cutter).
    It going to be a cruiser and light trail rig (since I feel bad when wheeling the DD), none of the fun stuff like big rocks and vertical climbs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I think the 3rd picture should be on the front of CK5 you see the cut fenders anglegrinder sawzall and hammer all in one picture /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Confedneck thats a 10bolt

14. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the 3rd picture should be on the front of CK5 you see the cut fenders anglegrinder sawzall and hammer all in one picture

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think the 3rd picture should be on the front of CK5 you see the cut fenders anglegrinder sawzall and hammer all in one picture

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That would be funny!

16. jjlaughner

Yeah I should admit, I just bought the truck about a year ago from a guy in Northern Ohio up by the lakes. They do salt the hell out of the roads here too though (and they just started using that liquid stuff).
    But this was a plow truck up north for all of its life. I think it was a on a dealers lot. There was no registration on in before about two years ago when the other guy bought it and titled it, but it passed emissions and there were records for it just no ownership. He bought it with 77890 on the title and I bought it with 78100 on the title (it only has about 78190 on it now).
    Other than the really rusty frame the body is only a little worse than my other blazer was when I started restoring it (only difference being the rear fenders and radiator support on mine had very little rust).
    The plow truck is not getting restored but its getting saved. I'm going to do all the body work I can without buying to much other than grinding wheels and paint (I might buy the full bed floor because its about gone and needs the tailpan). Then next summer (after I use it to plow this winter) its getting dropped on a frame HarryH3 is sending me. Hopefully by that time the frame down work will be done. I'll do the bedfloor and paint the outside (hopefully will have most of the rust at bay by then )

I wouldn't have bought it because of the rust, I won it on ebay, but when I got there it looked like the bad things (axles, springs, rockers), when the things I was going to replace or cut off. If I would have looked at the rear floor and frame a little closer I dont think it would be sitting in my driveway /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

17. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That ain't dirt, thats RUST! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    [​IMG] (edit added pic)
    Thats the PO's brake lines job, No wonder I had to pump the brakes a few times to get them to work. All the brake and fuel lines will be re-ran before the new tank goes in.
    Then HOPEFULLY /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif In September sometime HarryH3 and Kenny W are setting me up with a new FRAME!!!!!
    Thanks guys, make all the other work seem a little more barable now /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]OMGosh!! That's a lot of rust! Have fun cutting bolts, rather than loosening them up. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. joshua

joshua Registered Member

What are your plans for a gas tank??