Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started makin a rock ring/diff protection for the 14b today...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

This what I have so far...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's 3/8" thick- Just cause I had a piece layin around. Gonna cut out the part outlined by the chalk tommorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

sweet, i know on the rear diff it really isnt as nessacary as the front, but are you gonna put that Piece of steel that protects the ring gear? from the bottom of the rock ring to the top?

3. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    sweet, i know on the rear diff it really isnt as nessacary as the front, but are you gonna put that Piece of steel that protects the ring gear? from the bottom of the rock ring to the top?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah sorta. hehe....I'm actually gonna make the entire thing out of 1/4" plate. Not just over the ring gear. The entire cover will be 1/4" plate. Or I might just make plate the bottom half of the cover..I haven decided yet. If I do the entire cover, I can make some kinda cool design out of it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

1/4" Plate eh? Psssh, 3/8's all the way...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats the before machining shot... That was my prototype d60 cover, the new ones I'm working on are alot different though... But still bulletproof /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I took 5/16 x 1" strap stock and built up the cover lip on the bottom half to stop the "peel back" problem. I also shaved the 14 bolt up to the bottom bolt and the extra lip material was needed to make it seal. for the ring gear I bent a piece of 1/4" x 2" strap and ran from top to bottom with a "ramp" going to the outer edge of the lip on the bottom.

Basically the same was done for my front "thick" D60 cover (including the shave) but the ring gear cover is 5/16 x 3" strap with the bottom ramp...

Wish I had a plasma cutter, but cutting, fitting and welding the 1" strap wasn't that bad. I just wish I could counter sink the bolt heads...

6. Zeus33rd

I'm gonna shave mine too. Going to get the cover completely done and bolted on, then shave everything all at once, housing and rock ring. Down almost to the bolt hole.

As far as counter sinking the bolt heads....That wouldn't be to difficult to do. Depending on what type of bolts ya use. I'm gonna counter sink mine and use allen bolts. I don't think I'll beable to get the head of the allen bolt flush with the face of the rock ring using 3/8"s plate..Unless I take a bit off the head of the bolts. Hmmm....Thinkin out loud again..

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I thought about adding another 3/8 to mine on the lower lip front and rear. That would let me switch to socket heads and sink the heads completely without needing a square bottom bore (end mill)...

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'd dig to do that. I really need to get a hold of an oxy/acet setup so I can do some metal working. Right now I'm w/o and working with 1/4" is a PITA.