Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

started my 8 lug swap... EDIT- HIT A SMALL JAM SEE POST #5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Aug 6, 2006.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I started my 8 lug swap today my 86 k5. Tomorrow I will get new bearings and get my tires mounted on the new wheels. Pics to come soon.

2 Quick questions.

I got the 3/4 ton backing plates but they look exactly the same as my 1/2 plates. Whats the diffrence.

Also should I do anything else while im in there? Im going to do new break pads, bearings and seal. What else needs to be done?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2006
  2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I will take a stab at this I think the 3/4 ton backing plates locate the caliper slightly different, I haven't measured but just got done doing this and needed to use the 3/4 ton backing plates. The half ton ones didn't fit the rotor it seems they move( they being the 3/4 ton backing plates) the caliper out a bit. We reused the half ton calipers and everything was good

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

The 1/2 plates will not clear the caliper over the 3/4 rotors. Are you replaciong the spindles as well? If so, remember the lock-tite. This is a place were you do not want to be without it.

:D

4. hunterguy86

I didnt measure the plate, just kinda eyeballed it. Makes sense though. Since I have a 10 bolt and the spindles are the same between the 1/2 and 3/4 tons im just gonna use em over again. I cleaned em up real good and today when I put it all back together they will get a fresh coat of marine grade grease.

5. hunterguy86

Well I got the passenger side together but I'm gonna have to hit the caliper with a grinder I think. Anyone else have this problem?

Also the dang caliper wont line back up on the drivers side. The top bolt will line up but the bottom one will not. It seems like the bottom of the caliper is not going in far enough for it line up. I cant see what it may be hitting on and I have tried diffrent pads. Any tips? Could the backing plate be messed up some how?

This is really frustrating. Calipers should not be this hard to put on. Please help.

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

The backing plates arent supposed to be interchangable from side to side, but they are. It sucks but your gonna have to swap backing plates, side to side. I had the same exact problem you are describing and this fixed it.

7. hunterguy86

well dont that suck the big one. Oh well. I'll give her a go this afternoon after work. Thanks

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

new u joints... If you got it apart it will save ya on the trail

9. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I noticed earlier you mentioned "marine grease". That is not a product you want to use on disc brake wheel bearing assemblys. You want a high temp rated grease.
    I use the valvoline multi- vehicle. ( the red stuff ). Most marine type grease gets kind of thin when subjected to the heat in our front hub bearing assemblys.

10. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I second this.
    FWIW I use CV joint grease in all my front wheel bearings.

11. hunterguy86

Well swaping sides on the backing plates did it. I got it all put back together last night. It went together like butter!

I'll have to look at the grease. I just used the stuff recomended in the tech article. I'm going to tear it all down again to paint the calipers and backing plates where I ground em, so if I need to repack the bearings I will.

I'm happy with this swap. With the new wheels the tire dont hit the pitman arm when turning all the way to the right.

Thanks for all the help yall.