Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started my new job this afternoon...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Avery4jc, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Most of you know that I work at a local hobby shop which has been good to me but it isn't going anywhere...I have put a ton of work into that shop and within the last couple of months they have not only given me nothing in return but they have given me the short end of the stick for many things and I'm just tired of the bs that goes on around there. Besides the managers I have been there the longest and knowledge wise I'm up there w/ them...
    So, I had a great opportunity come along the other night. We were eating dinner with some friends from church, they are a fun hard working family and are refreshing because they are "normal". Just good people that work hard and raise their kids...
    He works in a machine shop w/ his brother and dad that they own and he offered me a job to come work for them! So today after school I went to the shop (nice because it's only about 1 mile from my school) and it was great. A ton of physical labor (especially starting out) being that my mission now is to get the shop back in order...once we get things squared away they said they would like to get me working on some simple projects such as learning to thread their aluminum stock that they use for making hydraulic rams and practicing my mig welding by making a cart for the welder, lol.

So thats it for now, I am excited and wanted to share....I'll get some pics up soon, you guys will love it. They have lathes all the way up to one that is 15'+ long and drill presses so big that they make the 2.5" bits look like toothpicks!

-Avery

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Sounds like a lot more potential to gain some good skills than the other place. Congrats and good luck.

3. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

x2:waytogo:

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Good luck, and keep working!!

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you will learn a lot, which is always a bonus. Best of luck.

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep that was one of the main points of possibly making the switch. They are both great guys (I know the one brother from church, met the second brother today and I will meet the dad later). The one thing that really has me excited is that he for one is flexible as far as hours go...he realizes that I'm in high school and that should be my number one priority but at the same time he wants to start showing me some basics asap so its showing great potential.
    Maybe I'll make a hydro ram for someone on here as my first big project a few months down the road...anyone want to be the test pilot? lol

I'm also excited because he said tomorrow when I get there (after I spend an hour or so doing the daily pickup) I get to fire up the steam cleaner and clean off a hydraulic ram out of a garbage truck that he has to machine some parts for....so that should be fun.

-Avery