Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started powder coating my K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Jul 19, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I just got my first pieces powder coated (fender and doors) and they look pretty nice. The guy who did it double coated them and was actuallly able to get into every nook and crannie inside the parts which suprised me. I decided to hand wet sand them to remove the orange peel effect and get them to a mirror finish. Oh what fun that is .... wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off. Anyone have experiece wet sanding to make the job go a little faster? I'll try to post pics when I'm done.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you are powder coating your whole blazer?????? wow that would be cool how much is it costing you? and get some pics up
    oh and what color?

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

3. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Yep, everything but the right quarter panel (the other one is just bolted on since it was replaced). All the parts are either new or original and dent free (ie no bondo since the coating won't adhere that well to it). The parts are first chemically stripped in a tank and then dipped in phosphate to prevent rusting (each part costing about $60). Then they are sent down the street to get coated. Not sure how much each part is, but the guy who's powdercoating it said he would keep the price at around $1600 for the whole project (a total of 7 body parts). Not bad considering the body shop I wanted to go to for the equivalent process was going to be over $5k and 6 weeks. The color is dark blue, the brochure says "post office blue". I'm going to be driving a giant post office box *L*

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by rampage on 07/19/01 02:03 PM.</FONT></P>

4. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

where did he get that color? the only powder coat powder's i've been able to find is through eastwood, and i would like something different from the same colors

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

The three companies I know of are Herberts O'brien, TCI powder coating, and Cardinal. Each one has pretty much the same colors and a limited selection. You can get a custom color but that is big $$$ and I think there is a minimum order of 500 pounds (5 pounds is more than enough to do my truck). I choose Cardinal since they are the only company I know of that also has a liquid paint to match the powder in quart size or in spray cans. I can give you the numbers of these companies if you like.

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

what a cool idea, I'm doing that to my next rig.

JH

'83 GMC Jimmy 4x4 ZZ4 Crate Motor
    '83 Chevy K20 Sand Drag Racer, 578 RWHP
    '94 Impala SS
    '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 w/8.1L & Allison Auto

7. 88streetblaze

sure i wouldn't mind seeing what they've got.

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

when are you going to post pics?

77blazer see it at<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</a>

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

That's wierd, I was just looking at the Cardinal brochure right before I logged on. Are you getting it done at the San Jose shop? I always wondered if you can powder coat a whole truck. I guess you can do anything metal. Get those pics up. I'm taking my rims there in 2 weeks. I also might get my 3/4 ton axles coated.

Rod
    Alameda, CA
    85 K5 6"ProComp 35"Boggers... and it's still not BIG ENOUGH!!

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I think I'm misunderstanding powdercoating. How is it different from painting?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

11. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

12. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Savage1: No, I'm getting mine done at Precision powder coating in San Mateo, just down the road from me. I think Cardinal is base out of San Jose, isn't it?
    I won't have pics until the entire project is finished, probably about 3 weeks.

13. 88streetblaze

There is a lot of difference between powder coat and paint. Powder coat is a powder that is applied with an electro static charge(big word for induced static electricity) that attracts that powder to the metal. Then you heat it to melt the powder and it flows out to give a shiny paint like finish. But powder coat is much more durable that paint, I’ve redone parts that I’ve powder coated and have barely been able to get it off with sand blasting. When done right powder coating is down right awesome, but there is a limited selection of colors right know and it does cost more unless you do enough to warrant buying the equipment yourself...

14. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

newyorkin: powder coating is more scratch resistant than paint. It is "sort of" like a primer in the way it adheres to the metal. It is also baked on at 400 degrees like the factory does with the original paint. The durability of it is why people coat undercarriage parts like axles, diff covers and rims. The only draw back is the surface has a slight orange peel effect on flat surfaces, but the parts I had done are not that bad as is, I just think a smooth finish will look better.

15. 88streetblaze

it does tend to have a slight orange peel to it but once you do it enough you can get where that is barely noticeable.

16. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Cool.... Thanks Rampage, 88street.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **K5 - What more is there to life?**

17. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I've been getting alot of my engine brackets and parts powdercoated. I love that stuff!!! Even got my intake, valve covers, altenator case, and dipstick tube done in a chrome like color!!!!!! Really looks more like pollished aluminum. I'll have to take pics when i get done. It looks BAD ASS! One fellow, even got his engine block powder coated!

baldbandit

"Have you driven over a F@RD lately!!