Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

started the motor today and.........BOOM!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Jan 19, 2004.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Well after getting the 454 back together, hooked up the oil pressure gage and started her up, first thing was a slight knock, then I realizeed I am getting no oil on the driverside head, then...Boom, boom, boom aka Rod Knock!

doh!, so here we go again, I have another 454 but it has a slight rod knock too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif So my last option is to swap in a strong 305 that fouled some plugs in the 77 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

to bad I just spent some big $$$$ on all new accesories for the big block.. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Well at least the 454 looks nice in there.

So now I could spend money on machine work or just grap another block and throw it in, but at what point do I decide to just spend some serious money for a built motor rather that tossing in motors that potentially have issues /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Now I wish I had kept the 396 and just swaped in a differnt cam for emmisions /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

soooo back to the drawing board, looks like the 35 spline outers will wait..and wait. I am also starting to think that I should get a daily driver, I would save at least a couple hundred in gas and could use that to pay for it /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

2. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I think your rig has gone through the most amount of changes in the least amount of time. How many motors have been in it in the past year?

What did happen to that 396?

3. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Rebuild a motor. That is definately the way to go. That or have someone build it for you. Then you know whats going in and what is used etc. my 2 cents

4. supersize75

the truck has only been done since september, as for the 396, thats a whole nother story /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Just try and guess what it looks like now /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif....different to say the least, I'll think I will be getting pulled over so much that I should break my record of 8 times in November....november was a bad month /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

for some reason my truck gets a cops attention.. I have no idea of why though /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Sean get the daily driver. Even if you have a car payment you will probably still save.

6. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Oh good God....not again /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

dang wish i had just the money that you just spent on this last 454 alone, and youre talking abouteven more serious money later on ?

damn

why not jsut find a good used running 454 and put that in ?

your rig would be illegal around here just something dumb like with doors removed let alone with all those mods your rig has, AZ must be almost law-less ?

good luck

8. supersize75

Thats the plan I guess, but I am getting tired of thee motor swaps and wondering when the motor will go out on me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Being that this motor is tossed on the bottom end I am have temped to have a friend video tape me run the hell out of it and get it to throw a rod on a video /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I really have no use and it is done for, but that would be pretty immature...any body ever blown a motor for fun? It cant be that bad of a sin it's already done for /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

second thought...I should just spend my time pulling the motor rather than fooling around. I also hear arizona is getting rain soon /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so I better work quick.

I wonder what the 305 would be like in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What about a diesel, I wonder if I could find one for under a grand, fuel ecconomy sounds nice right now /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

ok I anm done blabbing for now, I need to go to work /forums/images/graemlins/bewarespam.gif

9. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you ruin any V8 GM made pushrod motor except a 307 just for shits and giggles you should be banned.

I would be happy to have your "junk" BBC.

10. supersize75

shipping from 85296 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

btw I dont think it's all the funny of idea too /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Thats the plan I guess, but I am getting tired of thee motor swaps and wondering when the motor will go out on me /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Being that this motor is tossed on the bottom end I am have temped to have a friend video tape me run the hell out of it and get it to throw a rod on a video /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I really have no use and it is done for, but that would be pretty immature...any body ever blown a motor for fun? It cant be that bad of a sin it's already done for /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

second thought...I should just spend my time pulling the motor rather than fooling around. I also hear arizona is getting rain soon /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so I better work quick.

I wonder what the 305 would be like in my truck /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

What about a diesel, I wonder if I could find one for under a grand, fuel ecconomy sounds nice right now /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

ok I anm done blabbing for now, I need to go to work /forums/images/graemlins/bewarespam.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Don't waste a big block, just put a crank kit in it.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    your rig would be illegal around here just something dumb like with doors removed let alone with all those mods your rig has, AZ must be almost law-less ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wherever you live sucks. There are tons of lifted trucks up here, and I have even driven my 9" lifted/38.5" tired beast to Chicago. His rig illegal? Hardly. No law says that you have to have doors in IL. My friends have gotten away with it on heeps and 'yotas for years.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Rebuild the 454, take care of it, don't beat on it, and you will no longer have motor problems allready. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. supersize75

the cost of rebuilding the 454???? 1000+ /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

or buying a running work truck on the side of the road with a 454...500-1500 /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

or building a motor I can abuse all day long...4500 and up /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. rjfguitar

It's basically an automotive theory...if you wan't to beat on a motor hard and make it last,then you are going to need to build a motor with hardcore parts which means lots of $$$$$. Use an used 454 and hope for the better, be easy on it and it would probably run for quite a while if it is in decent shape.

16. rjfguitar

YOu could probably get a reconditioned stock as a rock 454 for around 1,500 bucks.

An used 454, probably around 500 bucks

A hardcore built 454 with forged everything.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif probably in the neighborhood of 3,500 hundred to 15K.

17. supersize75

well I can say that a used motor and hoping for the best is the best and quick way to do it.

When I start crunching #'s if I got a built motor then I would not be able to do the doubler or other upgrades that are in the works. As it s I already will have to wait another month for the doubler. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As for that much $$$ I would rather spend that much mony on Mog 404's.

18. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I would rather spend it on a blown 496! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. supersize75

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I would rather spend it on a blown 496! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you show me a consistant amount of Mud in Arizona to play in and I am all for a blown 496 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No mud, means I play in the rocks, once in a while I find a couple inches though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

20. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you show me a consistant amount of Mud in Arizona to play in and I am all for a blown 496 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No mud, means I play in the rocks, once in a while I find a couple inches though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thats why I don't like rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif