Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started the new rocker sliders and floor replacement today...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Dec 13, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Man 4 sawzall blades and 3 4.5 inch cut off wheels and side one is half done... what a pain in the butt.... lol....
    Right now it's pissing rain and i'm missing the floor under the drivers side and the rocker is gone now /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Looks soo cool....
    I love welders, sawz-all's and grinders....
    Now I need a plasma cutter... hehehe!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

Are you building rocker guards for your's? I was considering doing so my self and am looking for ideas /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Way to go Aaron...this rain lately is really getting on my nerves. It'll be dry all day and just as i want to go work on pulling parts off our parts truck the skies open up for another 5 hours./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif That's happened 3 days in a row now. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Take some pic's along the way as a reminder of how hard you worked to get rust free! The pic's of my body repair 'time' keep me from selling my beast when I'm feeling dumb. Just the thought of doing all that over again makes me shudder...

Rene

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

yeah... i cut up an old hood i had for the metal....
    Stupid move... I could of bought a sheet of 4 x 4 20 guage for 8 bucks..... instead i burnt of 4 cutting wheels at 2 bucks a pop just to cut the hood piece outy I needed!!! LOL

Oh well... I tried to start welding but I nneded less wind...

Hey rene why does it pop and crack? the welded that is.. when i weld.... it's a new tanks.... full tank... a big one :d /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I'm doing like rene did... cutting out my rockers and welding in a 3x3 .120 guage box tube in there place all the way from the front tire to the back tie :d will be sweet when done and painted BRIGHT GREEN /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You need very little to no wind to weld outside with MIG. I use the flux core...which you can make look pretty good with a little practice.

The popping and cracking means the machine probably needs to be set up better. It should sound like bacon frying. How much gas flow do you have? 30 CFH should be OK for outside even with a bit of a breeze. If you start seeing bubbles and holes in your weld you don't have enough shield gas or your 'stick-out' is too far...or a combination of both. Don't forget to remove all the paint, rust and oil from the steel you're trying to weld. If it ain't clean you'll have a hell of a time trying to make a nice weld.

Rene

7. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I did the exact same thing a couple months ago but I already had the rocksliders in. Luckily they held the truck up on jackstands while I cut out all the supports for the front half of the cab. The new support frame is welded to the sliders with new 16 GA sheetmetal for the floor. I took a TON of pictures along the way, I'll try to get them up soon.

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I got the pictures up in indexes here...

http://www.mudnuts.org/joe/rust

I had used 2x4 3/16" wall tube for the rocksliders last winter so they were solid enough to weld the new frame to. The main supports are 2x3 .120 wall with 3/4" tube welded in for the bolts to go through for the body mounts, to keep the tubes from crushing and keep water out. The braces and smaller supports are 2x2 .090 wall. The pieces that the lower seat belt mount goes into are 3/16" thick with GR8 nuts caged to them.

I didn't want to mount the seats back to the sheetmetal like they are stock so I made the seat frame that goes across between the sliders and bolts in. I only had one seat mount finished at the time I took the pictures so I'll have to get more up soon.

The entire project took just over a month and I don't ever want to do anything like it again! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

All i can say is WOW.... what a piece of work.. NICE JOB /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I'm inspired.. !!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

You did an excellent job!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

What made you decide to ditch the factory seat mounting position? I have some rust/floor repair to do and was contemplating something like what you have donw, but I really would like to keep that area between the seat open. just kinda curious...Youi did a sweet job with the whole project though...I love how beefey those supports are...

Chris

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

dude thats fricken amazing!! that just what needs to be done to my truck but no way could i do anything like that...you got some talent man! i would pay you to do some supprts for my truck..wanna come help me fix mine? lol..

12. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

where did you get the floor parts from...i must do the same to a 74 jimmy...help a brother out..

all hail the mighty sawzall...

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

a lot of people just put in regualr sheet medal..its a lot cheap and easier to work with sometimes than a replacment floor pan. lots of people come up with custom ways of fixing there floors...like im going to do. i just have to figure out how to fix my floor supprorts. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

14. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

YOU ARE A WELDING GOD /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY SAWZALL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Well, there's sort of two reasons why I ditched the stock seat mounts... first is the reason that I came up with to justify the extra work, second is the real reason /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The "official" reason:
    I wanted to keep the seats off the floor so I wouldn't have to deal with the new sheet metal cracking from fatigue like the stock floors do. Since the new steel was flat it wouldn't be as strong as the stamped factory floor with the ribs in it. Before I replaced the floor the drivers seat was leaning toward the door significantly cause the floor was all bent and cracked real bad. I figured this would be a good way to keep the seats from bending the new floor.

The real reason:
    I've been dying to play with my tubing bender and I thought it would look cool! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif