Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started then stalled out....won't start.......

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by stallion85, Jan 25, 2007.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

This is pretty much the same problem I had 2 weeks ago. I started the truck up today and had to hold the throttle down to keep it running then it acted like it lost fuel pressure or something and smoked out the neighborhood. It will not even try to fire now. I had the same problem 2 weeks ago, bleed the injectors and it fired right up and never had any problems.

Is it my Fuel Filter or am I getting air into the system somehow?

Need help please:confused:

2. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Change the filter...and try again.

3. stallion85

There is only the one filter on the fire wall, right? Does anyone have a part number? Thanks

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you still have the stock square filter on the firewall it could very well be your problem. The model 80 filter housing is known to crack and allow air to cheat into the lines. For reliability i'd look for a spin on canister filter set-up.

I run a spin on and a Racor side by each...

Rene

5. stallion85

Rene is there a write up or something for this type of swap? I think the fuel line from the filter to the IP has a pin hole in it allowing air into the system. Hmm, weird. I will replace the filter and fuel line tomorrow.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

No write up that I know of. The pre-85 6.2 trucks all had spin on type filters...which is where I got mine from.

Rene

7. stallion85

I guess the M1008 did not get it. Mine is an 84'. I will look at the yard....thanks.

8. dieselponyexpress

dieselponyexpress 1/2 ton status

Just in case the filter isn't your problem:
    Check the return valve on top of the injection pump. There're a spring and a clear plastic ball in it. With a small tip of wood or plastic (do not use sharp metall) you can test the spring/ball system. If you are not able to look through the valve, it's contaminated. Probably with inner parts of the pump. Try to clean it (I would NOT use compressed air) or install a new/clean valve.
    Early injection pumps do have an inner part - can't remember the name of it :doah: - that fall to pieces within years. Maybe some members with more mechanical skills will chime in . . .

Before unscrewing the valve you can use a clear plastic tubing instead of the return line. That will tell you if there's a clogged line/valve.

Walter