Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Started welding up my Diff cover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Jul 15, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

This is one of the DIY ring and back plate kits. I think the ring the plate are 5/16" the bottom and top pieces are 3/8" and then later on I'm going to put 1/4" on the side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I welded to here and layed this solid bead on top before my 85amp welder kicked out /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Added in some skids from 3/8" and 1/4" leftovers, also act as gussets. Should help to slide over stuff without slamming the diffcover on things. And yes I'm going to round them off and make them flush.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

WOW /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif that thing looks beefy. Any idea how much that thing is going to weight? Look SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SWEEEEEEEEEEET /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. jjlaughner

without the sides, just how it sits now I would say at least 25-30lbs, should be about 35lbs by the time I'm done /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Thats some thick metal /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Looks good /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. jjlaughner

Smoothed out the curves and worked on the sliders, got them all ground into shape! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]

Welds inside
    [​IMG]

Started the side plate then I ran out of wire! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    ground down fin on the side panel and smoothed over edges
    [​IMG]

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

That looks AWESOME! Wow, I really like that. Its so beefy. Good work.

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    without the sides, just how it sits now I would say at least 25-30lbs, should be about 35lbs by the time I'm done /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's just a running theme with his truck. A normal bed would weigh maybe 100Lbs, his is 500 /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif =BUT IT'S BEFFY /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. jjlaughner

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm attemping to lower my center of gravity by adding wieght /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Good one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Damn, that thing is beefy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How much do you supposed you save doing your own? The price of steel is outrageous these days /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You'll need at least an "E" load range tire when the "bucket" is finished /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif But at least you'll feel safe driving a rig that weighs as much as a dump truck over rocks and while you're sinking in the mud /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do like the way your cover is coming out though, I'm getting some ideas. My DIY4x covers (I got the front one too) are sitting in my basement along with DP90's rock sliders, my 5.13 gears from ORD and my 39.5" Boggers I bought from Bob. Wait, what am I doing online, I've got work to do!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

12. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Smoothed out the curves and worked on the sliders, got them all ground into shape! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    [​IMG]

Welds inside
    [​IMG]

Started the side plate then I ran out of wire! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

What??? No jjlaughnerplate /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [​IMG]

Welds inside
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

What??? No jjlaughnerplate /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, that would have been cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Maybe you could finish the sides with diamond plate? Just to keep a theme going

14. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

THat thing is hidious looking. You should do the world a favor and just hand it over (to me) before you hurt yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just kiddin, that sucker is sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm working on it... no all I have here is 1/8" sheet, what I think I might do as a trademark thing now for stuff I make I'm going to cutout a 1"x1" square with a single diamond tread on it and weld that on each item I make /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    THat thing is hidious looking. You should do the world a favor and just hand it over (to me) before you hurt yourself. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Just kiddin, that sucker is sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well where ever in the world you go and see 6 - 1/4" groves in the rocks or a stump you know I drug ass there /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm working on it... no all I have here is 1/8" sheet, what I think I might do as a trademark thing now for stuff I make I'm going to cutout a 1"x1" square with a single diamond tread on it and weld that on each item I make /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should skin the front with diamond plate. aka jjplate.

Seriously though Looking very good. I wish I had put the gussets on mine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe you should skin the front with diamond plate. aka jjplate.

Seriously though Looking very good. I wish I had put the gussets on mine /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought about that, plating the back plate with d-plate but I have another idea for it... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. jjlaughner