Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Ain't Startin'....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kevcarr59, Sep 18, 2004.

1. kevcarr59

kevcarr59 Registered Member

Starter Ain\'t Startin\'....

Started having problems about 4 months back. Changed the starter and didn't have any problems for a while.

About 6 weeks ago the starter was making a strange sound like it was hanging up. Replaced the starter and some wiring from the top of the motor down to it. It worked about 3 days and went out to start it, but absolutely nothing. Had it checked and tested OK.

This '78 has a tilt-column that was very loose and had lots of play in it. we fixed and tightened it up this morning thinking the rod in the steering column wasn't letting the ignition switch work properly. It started about 15 times this morning. Went out tonight to go somewhere, no nothing. No CLICKS,GRUNTS, NOTHING.

Here is the list of things I've done.
    New starter, and checked starter several times
    New cables 2 guage to starter
    new ground cable to alt bracket and veh. frame
    Wired switch to by-pass ignition switch (wired from battery terminal on starter to push button switch to starter terminal on selenoid)

When its dead, ITS DEAD. Have lights, horn, dome lights, guages...Turn the key.... DEAD.

Friend who is mechanic thinks its a dead segment in the starter. That seems to be the only possible thing. I need help and am tired of this problem. Any input will help...

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Starter Ain\'t Startin\'....

Even after running a wire to the solenoid you cant make it crank??--weird it will start 15 times and then not start,it could be a dead spot in the starter(my dads 93 caravan had the starter do the same thing several times the first week he owned it--the starters were recalled and replaced under warranty)--it sounds like it could still be a bad connection,possibly inside the solenoid itself also--what shape are the two red wires in with the fusible links that bolt behind the battery cable at the solenoid ??--the fusible links might be half toasted,and cause a lot of resistance,those wires often get damaged and burnt in that "tube" they run through,they are the 2 "main"wires that send power to the rest of the cars entire elctrical system(ignition,dash,lights,etc).You did by-pass the neutral saftey switch when you ran the wire to the solenoid via the push button,right??. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. kevcarr59

really been drivin' me crazy. Originally replaced the wiring from the back of the coil and hot wires to feed the power to the rest of the vehicle the first time we worked on it. Played with it twice before adding the by-pass wired switch. Worked on the steering column this last time and tightened up the slop in the tilt section of it.

At this point ready to put the 4 sale sign on the damn thing...

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

You might as well keep plugging and try to fix it--you wont get much for it if you cant get it started!.Its probably something minor,it will just take some time to figure it out. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

try pullin up on the shifter

6. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Get a big open ended wrench and a good leather glove. Crawl under the truck from the front passenger side. Take the wrench and use the open end to jump the starter from the big terminal to the one just above it. The starter should spin free. After this try the key again. It should work.

Ive had to do this myself, its no fun at midnight in the mud.

7. kevcarr59

Finally got the chance to put the new starter in. Starts right up, didn't wire in the by-pass starter switch but have the terminal connectors right there just in case. Also added a termnal for a ground wire going to the starter bolts to the block.

If it becomes a paper-weight again, its going to find a new home.