Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter bolt broke!! Need advice!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by garagelogic, Feb 10, 2002.

1. garagelogic

garagelogic Registered Member

Anyone had this problem in the past and knows of a fix please let me know. Was installing a starter on my 400 and when tightening the bolts the entire threaded area on the block just kind of crumbled and fell off!! I wasn't torquing on it or anything, it just $@# broke right off the block.
    Here's what I am thinking of doing to fix it. I bought a helicoil, and I have this can of welding paste (Kind of like JB weld on steroids) Now in theory, I should be able to use this stuff to mold an area on the block where the threads USED to be, insert the helicoil and be good to go. Do you all think it will work?

Thanks,

Rich

If it don't fit, force it.

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Actually, I dont think it will work. The starter has quite a bit of force applied to it. Your best bet would be to have the area built back up by a welder.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

3. garagelogic

I got a MIG welder, just got it for building my blazer in fact. Good excuse to buy another tool too. Anyway, do you think that would work to fix this or would I need an oxy acetylene welder for this. Not a welding expert by any means at all but a friend of mine does it by trade.

4. rain1971

rain1971 Registered Member

Just a cheapo do-it-yourself idea here, but you could re-tap to a larger size bolt, then drill your starter bolt hole area a bit bigger, of course everytime you had to do a starter you would have to drill the starter a bit bigger.
    I dont know, thats something i would look into if it was me.

cheap and quick :)

Theres no replacement for displacement!
    I want a big block!

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

You cant weld to cast, it needs to be brazed.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

6. garagelogic

I kinda figured that. Well how does a person braze? Thats where the oxy acetelyne needs to be used right?

7. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

You definitely can weld to cast!Who told you that?You need to use nickel rod.Theres two different types of nickel rod for welding cast.You cant weld cast with a mig or wire feed welder but you can with an ac/dc stick welder!!!!!!!!!!!Only thing is you must first heat the area to be welded with a torch and then weld it with a stick welder.Ive welded cast a few different times with excellent results.

8. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I realize you can weld with a stick welder, but he said he has a MIG welder. Sorry, I should have clarified.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html>http://www.geocities.com/outlaw613/K5.html</a>

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Get a helicoil for it...
    It will usually tell you what sixe drill bit to bore it out to, and then what size tap for the helicoil, and then you could use the same original size bolt.
    A bit of a pain to tap into cast iron, but it could probally work.
    ...that is unless the entire area you're talking about broke off.(which it sounds like your describing) that'll be a pain brazing!
    my 2 cents

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Keep in mind, if you tap into the block and break the tap off, it's over. Nothing will drill through a tap that I know of.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

11. garagelogic

You won't believe this, but I just sold my ARC welder two weeks ago. Never used it much, now it looks like I could've needed it