Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter bolt pattern and flywheel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by alec78, Dec 25, 2003.

1. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

tried a search ...

I have a '84 6.2, is there any reason the starter in this Post wouldn't work. Be it teeth on flywheel or bolt pattern or anything else?

I have had such a fit with my starter over the last two months. First it died on me while on vacation (Oct 20 to be exact). I bought a new one from the Adv. Auto in Denver. It died on me not even two months later (Dec 18th)!!! I ordered an AC Delco from the same store to replace the crap one I bought. They couldn't find it until I gave them the part number (pt # 323426)off their web site . Come to find out (after trying to install it before work this morning) it is out of a SBC 305 /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif!! Yes I know it is about eight inches shorter that an actual 6.2 starter but stupid me, I thought it couldn't be wrong!!! So tomorrow I am going to return it, and see if I can't persuade them to buy me the difference to the Bosch.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There's no reason the Bosch gear reduction starter wouldn't work for you. Mine is an 85 6.2...

When I got my 6.2 it came with 2 starters...a fubar standard starter and a not so great gear reduction starter. Due to lack of funds at the time I found a local place that had 28MT parts (28 MT is the GR starter) and replaced the bad parts. That starter worked OK for a while.

The Bosch is completely rebuilt and cranks like crazy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The parts store I got mine at had both styles listed for the 6.2.

Rene

3. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Thank You!! I guess tomorrow I'll see how good Advance Auto is at Customer Service!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Keep us posted.

Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock, the 28MT isn't the cheapest starter on the planet.

Rene

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Well, first I gotta say for anyone in the Denver area, the Advance Auto on W. Colfax is great. I didn't get a Bosch starter, but that was because thay don't carry Bosch. I did walk out with a AC Delco for almost $70 (plus the return of the wrong starter they gave me). I can't complain about that! We'll see how well it is when I get it in tonight. I'll post an update tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Got my new starter in last night. Definate increase in cranking speed!!! Only part that sucked was modifing the brace on the rear of the starter. Cold more than anything, nothing like working under the stars...

Mental note, start "Alec's new garage/shop" fund.