Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter bolted where?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TED, Feb 23, 2004.

1. TED

TED Registered Member

I have a 70 with a manual trans and cast bellhousing. I was informed by a fellow CK5er that the starter is supposed to be bolted to the bellhousing, mine is bolted to the block. No signs of improper wear on flywheel teeth, anyone else have a similar set-up? My starter is the cast nose cone kind.
    2 possibilities here:
    1. 2 different kinds of starters
    2. Im freaking retarded and in no time I'll be removing a heat shield, header, and starter.
    /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

2. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, there are two different types of starters. Yours should have originally been mounted to the bell housing. The block mounted starter you have now will work fine, and it is a much more common type of starter so they are easier to find. Just be careful if you try to buy a new one.

3. TED

TED Registered Member

Thanks Tim, I feel a little better now. I've had starter problems in the past and I thought maybe that was why. Now that I have a starter brace and heat shield, no problems.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You should be good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif