Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter brace

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TED, Jan 14, 2003.

1. TED

TED Registered Member

I had starter problems before I bought a new starter since I had a warranty on it anyway, but when I was having problems someone told me to get a starter brace. I got one but the hole that allows the bracket to be bolted on to the block is in the wrong place. Are these really necessary? I don't want to spend time customizing a bracket when I have so much other work to do on it.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

??never heard of that??
    I have a manual so maby it is a slushbox thing??
    Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 72BlazerTravis

72BlazerTravis Registered Member

No it's not just a slushbox thing. I can't get a starter to work correctly on my 4 speed. (works now that it's broke) A starter brace will help stabilize the starter and give it less situations for the gears to slip. On mine the bottom bolt (closest to the flywheel cover) is broken and for some reason even when i put a new starter in it gets jerked around when I crank it. Starter braces really do help keep it in line. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've heard of them but have never seen one. I wonder if you could make your own up?

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ahhh, Gotcha!
    Last year I put in a Napa starter and it is still workig fine. Is your starter after market or stock style?

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Here you go gentlemen.It helps greatly.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Of all the starters I have changed and or seen.... 1 had the brace still on it!!!!
    I would put one on, keep the starter from trying to rotate.

-Jeremy
    Soon to be a "/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif"

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Hmmmm. I'm getting ready to warrenty my starter. Maybe I'll have to hit the dealorship and get a brace while I'm under there.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Years ago I purchased one of those starter braces from PAW for about $5. These are cheap insurance in my opinion. One thing you'll need is a starter motor bolt that has a threaded stud that protrudes from the head of the bolt(kinda hard to describe). This stud hooks on the bottom of the brace and gets cinched up with a nut. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Don't need one if you're using a light weight gear reduction starter... I've got a planetary gear starter in my Blazer and it works like a charm without the front housing brace. FWIW, I've got a brand new GPE gear reduction starter for sale...