Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter Bracket...Part Number????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jimbo, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo Registered Member

I need to get the bracket that attaches to the back of the starter and the motor mount.

My block is starting to crack where the the starter bolts go into the engine block. I had to trash an engine a couple years ago because a little piece of the block broke off from this problem. I didn't realize there is supposed to be a support brace on the back of the starter. If I had put one on in the first place on this engine it probably would not be starting to crack on me.

Any suggestions on keeping it from completely cracking besides the brace????

Thanks, Jimbo

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Someone posted that there is only two bolts holding the starter in, its in a post about starter
    Is this person wrong ?
    My guess is that this person was giving opinion and not FACT.
    You see this is why most people beleive opinion is better than the FACTS.
    If you still need the part # I will try to help you, can you please provide a little more information on your application
    because as you know they do not exsit, or you will get the response they are all the same
    or go to any parts store(I wounder if any parts store means the Dealer ?).

3. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

I just did my starter less than a month ago. Only 2 bolts holding it in. Unless I'm missing a part (?).

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

4. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

There is definitely a bracket on the back of the starter, a third bolt. The bolt in back is a stud that runs all the way through the starter to nose casting. These brackets get left off all the time. Not all replacement starters have the stud sticking out the back. I'm not sure if all GM's came with this bracket but every Pontiac and Chevy that I have ever owned had the bracket behind the starter. The starter weighs to much to be bounced around with two bolts at one end. I don't have any part numbers for brackets, but if you go to a dealer they should be able to get it for you. Most junk yards in my area won't take brackets off a motor, they sell it as a complete unit.
    CB

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Registered Member

Got it......

I picked up the brace last night at the local dealerships service dept. Only cost 2.95.

Wanted to put it in last night but the kids won that battle, so maybe another day.....Thanks all

6. djohnsn

djohnsn 1/2 ton status

Re: Got it......

I would like to know what the part number is. I was trying to find one a while back, but my local dealership told me that it was not used on my application (78 Blazer). I found one in a junkyard, but it does not fit.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: Got it......

Hmmmm, On my 72K5 I have 3 bolts two screw in from the front and the top one screws in from the back. No seporate braket it's all part of the bell-housing. Hoo mabie cuz I have a 4speed????
    Mabie this extra braket is for autos only????

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]