Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter bracket pic?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Muddytazz, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Does anyone have a pic of the starter bracket (motor end) and how/where it mounts to the block. Need to find one for my starter as a temp fix for my broken block situation. That can be read in either the garage or NW Trails.

2. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I don't have a pic handy, but I can get one for you this evening /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Probably close to 6:00pm Pacific. I am assuming you mean the "L" bracket that is at the 'rear' of the starter (non-drive end).

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Correct and thanks

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

when i bought my truck it had not L bracket so i have no idea how it looks, or where it bolts to etc. I had to replace 1 bolt for my starter because it broke off and was being held by just one bolt. I found out because starter moved, and truck wouldnt start /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

I would like a pic to know how it goes. Where can I get this. Would a parts store carry it?

5. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm a little pressed for time, but it should be in my webshots under Jon's Stuff 2. Hope this helps out for ya until you can get that bolt-hole fixed /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I heard it takes up to 30 mins for the pics to actually show up on the site, so if it's not there, check back. You can't tell from the pic, but the bracket is a bent L-shaped piece to follow the angle of the block. The shiny piece to the right is a mud-caked freeze plug.

Jon /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

AWESOME!!! THATS exactly what I wanted. I can fab a bracket up like that in no time.

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Thanks Jon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, that'll be easy to fab one up.

8. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Guys, make sure you have the starter aligned properly when making the bracket. I made my own once too, but I didn't get the starter just right, and it made the starter grind when cranking. I bought the cheap bracket from the Chevy dealer, and it made it work much better.

The GM part #14028931 is what you want for the 6.2L.

Casey

9. RLBstein

RLBstein 1/2 ton status

OMG, you guys are awesome. I had no idea that there was even a bracket to hold up the rear of my starter. I have seen this clean and painted bracket (I did that to every piece on my truck) sitting on my workbench for 2 years and had no idea what so ever where it was supposed to go. That picture just helped me immensely. I have had this annoying little tick sound coming from somewhere in the bellhousing area forever and could never quite pin point it. Now I know it is the starting sagging and the starter pinion is barely hitting the ring gear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You all have made my day and my $20 membership fee has just earned its weight in gold.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

$20? did you get a discount?
    I paid $25.
    Yeah guys here are awsome, and very helpfull.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif