Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter bracket

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by ramack, Jul 1, 2004.

1. ramack

ramack Registered Member Premium Member

I slid under my '83 Silverado to look at the starter. This was I think the biggest reasons the seller unloaded it so cheap. He kept mentioning how the starter body would twist enough that it wouldn't engage the teeth on the driven ring. He also said that he couldn't find anyone that could weld aluminum and that's where he stopped working on it. He also said helicoils had been installed but were also a problem with the starter.

After inspecting, I found a 1/4"-3/8" piece of aluminum wedged between the bell housing on the auto tranny and the starter nose. I think that was his attempt to keep the starter gear on the ring gear....pretty sad.

Shouldn't there be a bracket that ties the starter to the side of the block to keep it in position? I'm glad the previous owner gave up before he did damage to the truck.....

Rich

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, there is a bracket. It is available from any dealer. It is about $1.50 retail.

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Make sure you get the right bracket for the starter, not the motor. If it is a gear reduction starter from the 6.5Turbo you need that bracket, if it is a standard 6.2 starter you need that bracket. Both are available cheap from the stealership.