Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter constantly cranking!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

So, the motor is in... runs good, but tonite I was downtown and kinda ran outta gas... (fix the fuel guage was the next on the list before the motor packed in). Anyways, I try to start it and the starter wont disengage... it just keeps cranking and I cant shut it off. The ignition switch itself seemed to be shutting off, but it just kept cranking the starter. Its a brand new starter yesterday, and worked fine last nite and this afternoon until tonite. Then I got a pull and bump started it without using the starter, and drove home. I tried it at home like 4 times in a row and it worked fine each time! So, where might be a good place to start looking for the snag? It seems like a short to me, maybe in the starter area since its right near the exhaust manifold. Or it could possibly be the starter itself? Or maybe in the column?
    Just curious if anyone has any experiences like this.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you think the ignition switch is not to blame, I'd unbolt the wires on the starter and bolt 'em up again. My best guess would be that somehow they arced and the juice that should have been going directly to your starter jumped to the solenoid terminal and hotwired itself. I honestly can't think of any other way if the key was doing it's job. How good or bad of a shape are the leads up to the starter in? When I first got my '93 it would occaisonally spin a little longer than it should have and I eventually found out that bad wires were to blame.

3. PDXCHVY

PDXCHVY Registered Member

I was just having the same problem, my stater was totaly toasted. Best bet is that it has to do with the starter.

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like the solenoid got stuck for a bit. Might take it apart to see if there are any burn spots, or burrs in the case that would hold the [solenoid plunger to the overrunning clutch] (I think thats how it goes together, its been a while) As long as that solenoid is engaged, that starter will crank regardless of ignition switch position. Thats why you can use a remote starter or even a screwdriver to get them to crank.

Also check the exterior terminals. Though ulikely, you might have had some metal contact the solenoid post (s terminal) and the terminal from the battery, or the terminal from the battery to the terminal leading to the starter. The latter would probably not work cause the amount of amps would torch anything short of like 8 gauge cable...

Something like that would drive me crazy. Dont just ignore it. Try and find the problem now, cause Murphys law dictates that it will happen again when your 3 miles into a trail, in a very steep valley, and where cell phone service wont reach... And it wont start again... :doah: :rolleyes:

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It's also possible that the starter teeth are too tight against the flywheel teeth and when things are hot enough (expanded a bit) they bind. A thin shim between the block and starter will fix that. You can get them at the parts store.

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the replies. I really think its wiring related at the starter. I havent had a chance this morn to look at it, but I will this afternoon.
    Ill let ya know!
    Mike

7. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a solenoid issue to me. I got a brand new remote solenoid from Summit once that did this. Got a new one and no problem.

It's a new starter, but thing do come from the factory with defects. I'd take it back and exchange it.