Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter didnt stop cranking, uhhhhhh

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Jul 19, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok just now i went to fire up the 305 engine and i went to stop cranking and the engine hadnt started yet because it was cold and i didnt pump the gas enough- well the damn thing kept on cranking and cranking with key all way off and out of thew ign switch- and it kept cranking and cranking all on its own until after i could get a chance to quickly pull hood popper cable and get out and get to the hood real quick, then it jut poof quit cranking finally,..

so i got back in and and cranked her again and she fired right up and didnt do that (stuck cranking by itself thing)again, and it had never done it before just now, ever.,.

so what do you think ?

thisa is in an all original unmolested vehicle no cut wires or anything like that

starter solenoid jamming maybe ?

wierd..

only thing i did to it since after the last time ran it was pull the factory radio last night and the heater controls panel assembly also, was all original stock stuff, i unplugged and disconnected everything at the sterio and HVAC control panel the way youre supposed to, didnt cut anything, this is in the 88..

thanks

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

starter

Most likely just need a new starter. Two things usually cause this. The most common is a bad starter. Once the starter is ingauged the solenoid continuously keeps power to the starter motor therefor if it gets stuck it will just keep going until it either unsticks or looses battery power. The other problem is not common and usually happens when someone has a battery that is bad or about dead and keeps trying to start the vehicle. What happens there is the low voltage causes the contacts in the solenoid to arc sticking them together and not allowing it to release (doubtfully your case).

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the battery is nice and up i know its daily driver, im betting on solenoid for sure the way it sounds :D the solenoid is old as hell i know

4. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

You might also try checking all your cables. I had the same thing happen with a new GM starter. Just before I yanked the starter to return it (thinking solenoid) I followed the negative and on the bottom there was about an inch of exposed cable! You couldn't see it since it was on the bottom, but after replacing that, no more problems. That was probably 4 months ago.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

best guess..

I'd point at the solenoid sticking,or maybe the spring in it broke,or the fork that slides the bendix drive is sticking in its pivot point..

Another possibility is the + battery cable at the starter might be touching the post on the solenoid that the purple wire goes too,and keeps current to the solenoid...thats why OEM GM cables have a 90 degree bend in the "lug" that goes on the solenoid,and has a "tab" that fits between 2 plastic prongs on the solenoid...if you fail to make sure the tab is lined up before tightening the bolt,the cap on the solenoid will crack.. :doah: ...done that enough times.. :mad:

The ignition switch rod might not be releasing the switch back to "run",but thats usually rare,only in cases where the colum has been dropped before,or if the vehicle was stolen is that the case most of the time... :crazy:

6. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

The contacts in the solenoid (welded) themselves together temporarily....replace the solenoid.

7. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i had the same problem on my 6.2 diesel. I replaced the solenoid and it still did it. It only stops doing it when the motor starts. So, i just pray the motor will start on the first try

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

lol yep, so far thats what i have to resort to as i have NO time to replace a solenoid let alone anything else, as i am working even my days off(such as tonight and i just got home from there, 7 more hours of OT yay so now i got 96 hours total for next pay :D)

thanks

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

im confused, i cant think of any way that an exposed neg cable can cause any problem whatsoever, even if was totally bare and zero insulation, in which would be perfectly fine but would corrode quick unless was greased alot

can you fill me in on this one ?

thanks

10. Stoner42

Stoner42 Registered Member

Your right- negative cable can't cause the problem(so what if it "grounds out" thats what its there for). Only way for it to cause any problem is to short to a positive wire-smoke, and lots of it, results. I've seen you problem many times, caused by many of the mentioned causes, but by far the most common is the solenoid.

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep it has to be, it doesnt make any sense really any other possibility/way

really,.

12. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

You know what, I'm sorry. I've had 2 problems with the starter. What happened with the neg cable was, for whatever reason, the starter wouldn't retract (but the power to it did disengage), even though the engine had started. It wasn't that it kept running. Got that confused with that bad starter I got from NAPA (guessing it was bad solenoid). Hope that makes sense. Sorry about that.

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no worries at all hehe thats cool :D i dont mean anything by anything or anything lol

thanks for your time and replies, im not saying it was a waste of board space or anyhing, hell some may think that this whole thread is though, :P :o

i know what i have to do now, even though i dont have time for it and dont wanna lol

14. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Happened to me once. I disconnected the battery and it stopped. I never did anything else to it and the problem never happened again.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Common dilema..

I've had many cars I started at the junkyard after sitting a long time have the starter hang up" and not disengage the flywheel after starting the motor the first time!..in most cases simply pushing the drive back in with a screwdriver solved the problem--after they "stuck" once or twice,they rarely did it again...I think it was rust on the shaft the bendix drive slid on that was to blame...usually the rear main seal weeps enough to keep it well oiled,but after a car sits for months,condensation and rust sets in,and the starter sticks..but after several starts,it usually goes away.... :crazy:

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

hum interesting

yeah it sonly done it once or twice now since i posted this

maybe it wil be ok, for now, but i still plan on replacing that when i can get to it

some day

lol
    thanks