Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Starter dirt bike

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sope, Oct 26, 2006.

1. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

For those of you that ride dirt bikes with your kids I need advice on my sons first bike. He's 4, around 40 pound, so he's small for a four year old. I talked to a friend and he says to hunt down a Suzuki JR50. His kids both started riding a JR at 3. He told me that they are small, light, good quality and low powered. I plan on buying used. Any other sugestions for a 4 or 5 year olds first bike?

Thanks,
    James

2. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

I got my kids a '03 CRF 50 last year. It's been a good bike for the kids, The one thing I liked is that it has a governor on the throttle (it didn't take my son but a day to figure out how to adjust it, he was 5). 3 speed auto and it will still haul me and my 2 year old riding i on my lap quite well. Just shop around and find something that hasn't been trashed.

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Well for me it was the Yamaha TTR-50
    I picked that up this summer for my 4yr old.
    It has a nice adjustable throttle stop (that even my 10yr old hasn't figured out yet).
    Three speed auto tranny, electric start and enough power to haul my big but around.

Which ever bike you pick out though, I would suggest a set of training wheels like what I got. They are made by wheels4tots.com
    My son got t-boned by another kid on a bigger bike at full throttle and he only fell off, the bike didn't tip over or anything.
    Very durable and the best upgrade I have bought for any of our bikes.

[​IMG]

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is awesome. I wasn't even going to consider a dirtbike for my kids for another 4 years when they're at least 10!

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

Yamaha PW50 my cousin had one, tough as nails. we had a Yamaha Tri-Zinger 50 3 wheeler when i was younger, same thing, tough as nails.

6. sope

sope 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot guys. I checked out my local Kawasaki Dealer today and a KDX 50 is exactly the same bike as a Suzuki JR50. They are the smallest bikes on the market. They are a 1 Seed. Has Neutral and Go. If I get him one this year this is what I'll get him. He's pretty small and might not be able to ride even this bike but I've got a couple of acres and am right close to the the trails so I'm thinking of giving it a try. I might go new because I also have a one year old who will get use out of it. Still, I may wait untill next year and just keep him as my spoter.

Thanks again,

James

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

you cant go wrong with the bikes you are looking at.. BUt once your kid starts to grow, he'll grow out of those pretty quick.

I'd look at a CRF50 and get some training wheels like above. The throttle can be limited with an adjustable screw. They do have a transmission(automatic clutch), but you can have him leave it in first until he gets older. Plus the bike will be a good bike for a few years longer than the smaller ones.. Then when he's doen with it, you can use it for some backyard mischief.. ;)

8. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thanks for the advice and that is such a cool picture.:bow: