Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter/ flywheel tooth engagement

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MuddyMudSkipper, May 30, 2002.

1. MuddyMudSkipper

MuddyMudSkipper Registered Member

my starter worked fine for 6 months then started making a "clunk" about 1/2 the time without starting. I looked and the bendix gear was ramming the flywheel teeth and not engaging or rotating. I shimmed the starter and it still happens, and it was a big shim. The starter and ring gear are both only six months old so I shouldn't need a shim if it started fine without a shim for six months right? When the teeth do align properly (about 1/2 the time) it sounds fine- no whining or anything. Any ideas???

Jeff

2. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i had a similar problem with my 75 check to make sure you havent broke off a tooth first if you havent start trying to find a new starter with a cast iron head with the bolt holes across form the other not offset i went to a starter shop that i deal with a lot i told them my problem that mine was noisy and broke off a tooth i replaced the flywheel and bought a new rebuilt from napa it did the same thing even after shimming so thats when he sold me the one with the cast iron head i put it on and have had no problems he wouldnt tell me whats wrong he said its one of his secrects so i would try another starter but if it doesnt work find one with the cast iron head and let me know if it works for you

3. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

You could have a flywheel with a large amount of runout as well. If that's not the case, the crest of the pinion gear should clear the valley of the ring gear by 0.020"-0.040". I usually shoot for 0.025". At full engagement, the pinion gear teeth should engage at least 80 percent of the length of the ring gear teeth.

4. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

What is runout? I can't figure out why it starteed fine for half a year and now the bendix gear hangs up. Seems like it should of gotten hung up from the start if it was going to. Anyway, thanks for the help.
    Jeff

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you look at the flywheel from the side runout would appear as a wobble as the flywheel rotates...

Rene

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Runout is a situation where the flywheel is not true. It can be either inconcentric (axis of the ring gear does not coincide with the centerline of the crankshaft mains) or not perpendicular to the crankshaft main centerline. I was referring to an inconcentricity in my previous post. That would make the pinion engage just fine in some places, but not worth a whit in another place.

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Brought this post back because of some trouble I am having. I have a 70 jimmy, 350 from a 76 pickup, 350 turbo, 205. Ever since I bought the rig it has had starter trouble. I thought I had it fixed when using the engine # I ordered a flex plate. Old flex plate was evidently from a 305 is what the parts guy told me. Ok it was chewing bendix gears every 3 or so months. Did the shim thing, even shimmed the outer bolt hole only. Then did the grind the case of the starter thing.

After I put the new flex plate on it has gone since 10/14/02 since I needed a starter. by the way when I did the flexplate put a remanufactured starter on from napa with no shim or case grind and used wire feeler guages to check tooth engagement. Worked good until a week or so ago.
    It started making bad noise like jumping teeth.

Today I decided I would pull starter. Then it left me and had to be towed. GRRR!! Ok pull starter. and bendix teeth worn some. Flexplate not bad at all. worst thing is a crack in the body of the starter. I have not wheeled this thing at all since all the repair. So not due to rock smashing or anything.

1. Is it normal for a starter to go a couple years and then need to be replaced because of worn bendix gear.

2. What could cause crack in body of starter.

3. In Steve chin's earlier post about runout. What can cause runout. Can you have a perfectly true flexplate and over time get out of true. If so why.

I am thinking of trying this cast iron body starter that was tlked about. Is it available through Napa or jsut dealer or what.

What about a mini starter. or maybe having one built maybe with a machined bendix gear. Just getting tired of dealing with this every so often. I dont want to have to swap flex plates every few years. Hmm but then maybe I could do a new motor. Thanks for any replies.