Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

starter grinding noise

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Zooman, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

I put my starter back in after having fixed the wiring and having the starter checked to make sure it was good.
    When I try to start the truck some times it makes a grinding sound. The teeth on the gear for the starter are a little rounded. Could this be the problem or do I need to put some shims in?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks alot
    Matt

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yep, sounds like you need to shim it....max gap between starter teeth and ring gear teeth should be .060

3. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

Yepper. I second the shim idea. Use a 1/8" drill bit and shim the outboard side of the starter till you can just fit the bit 'tween the ring gear and the shaft on the starter.

4. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

My truck does this just every once in a while. Kinda thought it may be a weak battery causing the starter to not ingage enough but never messed with it. Yall think that could cause it also?

5. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Normally a weak battery will cause your starter to turn slow, sometimes not at all. I sometimes have this problem as well. When I had to replace my starter it took about 4 of them to get one that worked and didn't grind or lock up. And I have it on with no shims. I also had to replace a flywheel in there as well. Not much fun there.

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

you would think that by shimming starter too far away from wheel would cause grinding because of teeth not intermeshing enough, use the 1/8" rod method make sure starter is right distance from wheel if it is even the right starter nose cone even, what size wheel do you have and what style nose do you have ?

7. Zooman

Zooman Registered Member

I am not sure I understand what you are saying to do with the 1\8 bit??
    Which side of the starter would be the outboard side? Is it the side farther away from the block?
    Sorry for asking so many questions but this is something I have never had to mess with before.

As for the starter and the flywheel I don't know about teeth count or anything. My tranny is a th400 if that helps. This is the starter that came with my truck when I bought it a few years ago. I am going to replace the gears on the starter before I put it back in because they look a little worn just to make sure this is not the problem.
    Matt

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am not sure I understand what you are saying to do with the 1\8 bit??

[/ QUOTE ]
    You use an 1/8" drill bit to check the gap between the starter gear and the ring gear. That is the max gap you want.

[ QUOTE ]
    Which side of the starter would be the outboard side? Is it the side farther away from the block?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yes, the outboard side is the side away from the engine block.